I just let somebody off for using a mobile phone whilst driving...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c2c

redredrobin
Crankarm said:
Nope wouldn't bother me. She would just have to get the bus or cycle to her client. People do survive and can get along quite nicely without cars you know. At least her son would be less of a libility if he took her bike instead of her car.

yeah........whaaaaatever....and i think you meant liability

Twenty Inch said:
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LET HIM OFF!!!!!!!

and then came here and shared about it.

FFS.

He wasn't let off - he was charged with much graver offences. The court would in all probability not impose any extra punishment if he had been charged with phone use.

As for his mother being unaware that he was using her car - well I'd be quite sceptical about that. If you own a car, you need to know who is using it. Years ago it was a case of the owner in this situation being given a choice - either be charged with permitting no insurance, or provide a statement to support a charge of TWOC being dropped on the son. Nurse, or not, I cannot see why this should not still be the norm. Had she been deprived of her car, and charged as she could have been, she would most likely take much more care about who drove its replacement.

What is the world coming to when the Police start becoming sympathetic, eh?

Crankarm said:
Like mother like son ...................

I've seen no end of nurses driving with mobile phones glued to their ears, and quite dangerously at that, and texting oblivious to the world around them. A lot don't seem to give a sh1t as they merely give a one fingered salute and shout abuse when their stupidity is brought to their attention.

So no I don't think she should have got her car back. She probably knew her son used her car but decided in the event he was caught to claim ignorance. Hasn't she aided and abetted her son's offences by allowing him to drive her car without insurance? Surely she can be nicked as well?

Yes, absolutely. Because of course it stands to reason that just because you've seen a statistically insignificant number of nurses driving around on their phones, they all do it. You don't think this woman should have got her car back because someone Vike knows off the internet has seen other nurses using their phones while driving. "Justice" isn't a word that features heavily in your vocabulary, is it? Or "logic".

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Crankarm said:
Like mother like son ...................

I've seen no end of nurses driving with mobile phones glued to their ears, and quite dangerously at that, and texting oblivious to the world around them. A lot don't seem to give a sh1t as they merely give a one fingered salute and shout abuse when their stupidity is brought to their attention.

So no I don't think she should have got her car back. She probably knew her son used her car but decided in the event he was caught to claim ignorance. Hasn't she aided and abetted her son's offences by allowing him to drive her car without insurance? Surely she can be nicked as well?

I would be careful what you deem a "nurse" and a simple carer. Both wear similar uniforms. I would assume most nurses have seen first had the effect of talking on a phone while driving, its this fact why i still dont tell my mum i cycle everyday.

c2c

redredrobin
xpc316e said:
He wasn't let off - he was charged with much graver offences. The court would in all probability not impose any extra punishment if he had been charged with phone use.

As for his mother being unaware that he was using her car - well I'd be quite sceptical about that. If you own a car, you need to know who is using it. Years ago it was a case of the owner in this situation being given a choice - either be charged with permitting no insurance, or provide a statement to support a charge of TWOC being dropped on the son. Nurse, or not, I cannot see why this should not still be the norm. Had she been deprived of her car, and charged as she could have been, she would most likely take much more care about who drove its replacement.

What is the world coming to when the Police start becoming sympathetic, eh?

+1...and god forbid them using discretion

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, absolutely. Because of course it stands to reason that just because you've seen a statistically insignificant number of nurses driving around on their phones, they all do it. You don't think this woman should have got her car back because someone Vike knows off the internet has seen other nurses using their phones while driving. "Justice" isn't a word that features heavily in your vocabulary, is it? Or "logic".

You had a bad day in your cab RT :tongue:?

I use them where appropriate. However reading your posts logic isn't a word that the pops into my mind. As for justice, your time will come, they will catch up with you sooner or later :tongue: :tongue:.

Guvnor

Vikeonabike said:
HLab...he's possibly getting a cozy little cell with Big Bubba as it is. Charging him with using the mobile would not make much difference.

More like a slap on the wrist and a fine that will never be paid!

Crankarm said:
You had a bad day in your cab RT :tongue:?

Actually, no. For the second night this week, I've turned up for work only to be told there's nothing for me to do and I can go home. So I'm at home being paid.:tongue:

Top Bottom