1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just watched The Flying Scotsman...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 14 Apr 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

...on Virgin front row (thanks for the tip).

And an entertaining couple of hours it was.

My question is, how much of the story was 'built on' for the movie?

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I think it's all pretty much true. I enjoyed the film, although I found some bits a bit harrowing.

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Pretty close to the book. If anything they underplayed the UCI's attitude.

4. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

The film touches on his mental health problems whereas the book goes into far more detail and is dark in places. The Insurance job is also not covered in the film. But overall they did a good job, they could maybe have done more on just what a rider he was and focussed on his achievements.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i've seen the film and i'm reading the book, just at the bit where the insurance job is. it's a very honest account.

6. notthebuzzard

notthebuzzard Active Member

I read the book first then saw the film. Jonny Lee Miller was quite good, but I actually thought the film was pants!

7. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

There's a bit in the film when he lies on the kitchen floor with his wife (steady) and explains that BBs are too wide.

They drop that line there. The film says nothing about him moving the chain stay up so he can get a narrower BB in.

8. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I can't remember there being a priest in the book. I think that was added. Nor can I remember him running into any of his old school bullies in the pub. All the same, the book was probably more harrowing.

9. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I need to read the book.