I know I'm going to get flamed but....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well I don't tend to push in front of other cyclists, but I'll often filter on the offside and thus end up in the right side of the lane/ASL. Most of the time I have a faster takeoff and cruise than the other cyclists, but not always. Being to the right is great, it dissuades the following motor vehicles from pushing through in the junction, and it makes it easy to pass the slower cyclists.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Defy78 said:
Is it only justified dealing out the "teaching" experience to a slower road user if you're on a bike or are motorists justified when cyclists filter infront of them aswell?

Just food for thought ;)
Yes to the first, and no to the second.

Why aren't motorists justified in filtering in front of cyclists? Air quality and safety: it's better if the cyclist is in front, as motorists have significant blind spots, and cyclists in front will breathe slightly cleaner air.

Off-topic: I should have used the word "educational" rather than "learning", and don't agree that "teaching" is suitable in this context, but a discussion of the eccentricities of English syntax and semantics is probably off-topic for this thread.

martint235 said:
Ah you see I live in two different worlds. On a weekend I turn right out of my house and out into Kent via Bromley and Biggin Hill and it's all sweetness and light out that way: "Good Morning, how are you?", "Great weather " etc. During the week, I turn left into London and then it all goes so horribly wrong!

Ahhh you get London then.Must admit im not to bothered if someone does that at the lights anymore.It's so common it doesn't really bother me.I had a great commute* yesterday but I was more p1553d off at work.

*Unexpected on these time of morning commutes which is why I do the very early morning commutes when I can get them.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
arallsopp said:
Ah. You're local! Why not come play with the Sunday London Ride one day? We are Bromley boys, turn left, but are otherwise quite lovely.*

What's a typical ride? I'm used to going out on my own but it could be fun.

My usual weekend ride is through Grove Park into Bromley at B North station, across B Common, up to Biggin Hill and then back round through Cudham and past Farnborough Hospital.

M

Defy78

victor said:
Yes to the first, and no to the second.

Why aren't motorists justified in filtering in front of cyclists? Air quality and safety: it's better if the cyclist is in front, as motorists have significant blind spots, and cyclists in front will breathe slightly cleaner air.

Fair enough for the answer, not to get too pedantic but I didn't mention cars filtering in front of cyclists (that wouldn't physically work very well) but asked the question; is a motorist justified in having the same grievances when a cyclist filters infront of them as when a slower bike filters infront of you? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go, I filter a fair bit myself (never infront of other cyclists though ;)), just seems there are parallels.

p.s. Had to laugh at the comment on the use of English, I wasn't really thinking of appropriate words but fair enough :biggrin:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
If I get in the way of the car I guess the driver's allowed to be a bit peeved but (assuming there's no slow bike in front of me) I tend to set off pretty quick. Also the ratio of my power and acceleration over a slow cyclist is a lot less than the power and acceleration a car has over me increasing the driver's options. I'm only speaking as a city rider here where the roads are wide etc.

Top Bottom