I Know It's Wrong to Gloat......But....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Most motorbike riders acknowledge each other and help other when in trouble. It is just the done thing. Bicycle riders do it on the continent too so why not do it overhere as well.
My chain came off on one of my rides last week and as I was putting it back on, a cyclist stopped and ask me if I was ok. I thought that was kind of him and appreciated the effort. Like someone said, the world needs more kindness and I think riders belong to this world. So, keep acknowledging your fellow riders, I do.

I agree with this sentiment, I always acknowledge other cyclists and if I see a cyclist stopped at the side of the road obviously struggling/tinkering I'll always ask if they are ok - in the hope that someone will do the same for me one day. You know, pass it on...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well.....we don't have a forum called 'walking along the road chat', but we do have one called 'Cycle Chat'. And we all use it.

A shared interest is just that.

To be fair, I don't expect everyone to acknowledge me and fair play to anyone, who wants to do their own thing. But, if you slap yer backside on an expensive bike and cover yer back with team kit, you have at least hinted at being vaguely interested in that shared interest.

Agreed. If this guy was indeed so detached from humanity though, being passed would not have bothered him. However I suspect that underneath the hard facade, he might just have been slightly pissed off :laugh:.

Janeyb

Back onto the subject of overtaking riders, hubby and I were out for a pootle yesterday and towards the end of our ride we spied two riders ahead. We seemed to be gaining on them and hubby grinned at me as I sped up and said 'I know what your doing' with me trying to look all innocent. Anyway we caught them and sailed past with a friendly comment about the weather. We then encountered a small incline at which point I I realised I was knackered, jelly legs the works. I glanced over my shoulder ad realised the chaps were gaining so had to dig deep to ensure I stayed ahead. Couldn't face the embarrassment of being caught having been so smug. As we both said though - we were doing a 38 mile ride. For all we know those guys could have been on the final stretch of a century. Hollow victory but good training.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A couple of years back I was doing a MTB circuit off road, but had a 200 yard bit of tarmac up a steep hill to do before getting on the canal to ride home (after being on bridal ways). Anyway, I pass a guy on a road bike, and I felt the need to tell him I was a roadie playing with mud today ! :thumbsup:

TBH happy to let on to anyone - even MTB'ers when I'm on my road bike, nothing better than a cheery 'all right mate' even if you do pass them.

dandare

Sigh! If you are that bothered about passing someone who may just be out for a pootle then get a number on yer back and race proper.

fossala

Guru
Down in Cornwall most people are polite enough to say hi.

The other day I over took someone cycling up a big hill coming out of my town and onto the A390. He caught up with me and asked where I was heading, I told him. Next thing I new he just said "race you there" and sped off. The next 10 miles or so where was the most fun commute I have had. Nothing like a bit of friendly competition.

defy-one

I watch and look at cyclists in London since getting back into cycling. I look at bikes makes/models even more than the latest Lamborghini - but I have noticed that two riders crossing each other on a crossing or narrow piece of Tarmac, don't acknowledge each other????
I was brought up to say hello,smile or acknowledge another person, no matter where I meet them (it's called manners), and I do the same if I'm in my car, walking or cycling.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
On an urban commute, there are too many cyclists and too many vehicles to safely acknowledge every other pedallers. So I don't bother unless they do it first.

If I hit the country lanes at the weekend, then I do make an effort to say hello.

dandare

Down in Cornwall most people are polite enough to say hi.

The other day I over took someone cycling up a big hill coming out of my town and onto the A390. He caught up with me and asked where I was heading, I told him. Next thing I new he just said "race you there" and sped off. The next 10 miles or so where was the most fun commute I have had. Nothing like a bit of friendly competition.
Fair do and I have had a bit of fun that way myself. Just don't think that because you have passed someone you have somehow beat them.As regards the acknowledging of other cyclists generally I do but I don't get all upset when they ignore me. The riding of expensive bikes and the wearing of expensive kit doesn't make that person a snob,they just have enough money to afford it.

Well.....we don't have a forum called 'walking along the road chat', but we do have one called 'Cycle Chat'. And we all use it.

A shared interest is just that.

To be fair, I don't expect everyone to acknowledge me and fair play to anyone, who wants to do their own thing. But, if you slap yer backside on an expensive bike and cover yer back with team kit, you have at least hinted at being vaguely interested in that shared interest.

Just read your thread. I can honestly say that I acknowledge everyone I encounter, cyclists, walkers, joggers, dogs, psycho sheep (see my thread to get the joke), however do you know for sure that he ignored you? When I am saying hello it usually comes out HUH HUH GRUNT GRUNT wobble wobble spit wave wobble wipe some sweat etc etc. :tongue: . Most people would think I am having a heart attack instead of saying good morning HEHEHEHE

John and I acknowledge just about everyone we see on our usual rides, be they on bike, foot or horse, even car drivers if they are considerate enough to make safe room for us, which most are round here. I agree that this simply isn't practicable in towns or cities, but out in the countryside it's just the done thing. Perhaps doing so encourages a better perception of cyclists? Might change an attitude or two and costs nothing, also makes me feel better too when I get a nice smile back, so win + win in my opinion. Folk seem to like a chirpy good morning from two Lycra brigade riders!

Saw a young woman on a mb stopped by the side of the road today, shouted out to check she was ok, got a cheery reply in the affirmative, if she'd been having any problems we would have stopped to help. I actually expect other cyclists to do the same out in the sticks, it's just simple comradeship that a shared interest - or passion in our case - generates.

Gordon

Top Bottom