I Know It's Wrong to Gloat......But....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Spent this morning smashing out a little sixty miler with a mate. Although the weather was colder than of late - and the wind more intense - it did not spoil a really nice ride, with a reasonable average speed of 16 mph (quite a hilly route by local standards).

Anyway, on the way back, about 50 miles in, I spied another roadie. Before I knew it, I was passing him and offering a cheery, "morning" - to which there was no response. OK, fair do mate!!!

A little further on, I encountered a line of static traffic. Now, this particular country road is barely wide enough for two cars and is particularly bendy on this stretch - meaning that you could not see the oncoming traffic. I took advantage of this to have a little breather when, suddenly, matey boy rides around my outside - in the middle of the road. God only knows what would have happened, had there been oncoming traffic around the blind corner ahead!!!

Anyway, I wasn't bothered - anyone can overtake in traffic, eh! In no time, I was at a junction and, as I turned left, I spied the other rider ahead. This particular road leads into a decent short, sharp hill and, from the moment I had him back in sight, the plan was formed - don't blast past on the flat - wait for the hill and do him there. Which I did. Comprehensively; out of the saddle - closely followed by my mate. Have that, fella!!!

When I got my current road bike, I shared on this forum that I was concerned that I had opted for a compact, instead of a triple. Someone replied to the effect that I would not regret the decision the first time I blasted past someone up a hill on it. Truth be told, I thought that would never happen - but it just has. And, sorry if it sounds boastful, but the moment was sweet (possibly made sweeter by the circumstance).

Right, I'll stop gloating now - I know; it's not big and it's not clever (but, be honest, we all do it just a bit, don't we!!!)

Camrider

And, sorry if it sounds boastful, but the moment was sweet

Nowt to boast about really, you simply overtook someone who was out for a ride not a race :huh:

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Nowt to boast about really, you simply overtook someone who was out for a ride not a race :huh:

Yes, fair play to you, sir - with hindsight, I do agree. Apologies if that did not come across as intended.

Still felt bloody good though!

compo

Veteran
It is such a rarity that I actually manage to overtake someone that I understand exactly how the OP feels, even more so if he feels he was snubbed.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
i would have the same sense of emjoyment if it was me. Im sick of these ignorant people on the roads. or snobs. cant make my mind up. just crack a smile or a wave of acknowledgement or something!! :cursing:

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

i would have the same sense of emjoyment if it was me. Im sick of these ignorant people on the roads. or snobs. cant make my mind up. just crack a smile or a wave of acknowledgement or something!! :cursing:

Yep - doesn't take much, does it.

As you say, I'm not sure if they are snobs, ignorant or in fact just plain miserable. Having said that, even when I'm miserable, riding my bike makes me feel good - so I think we can discount that one.

Why this intense need to communicate with other riders on the road? We don't have it when out walking or driving so why when we're out cycling?

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Why this intense need to communicate with other riders on the road? We don't have it when out walking or driving so why when we're out cycling?

Well.....we don't have a forum called 'walking along the road chat', but we do have one called 'Cycle Chat'. And we all use it.

A shared interest is just that.

To be fair, I don't expect everyone to acknowledge me and fair play to anyone, who wants to do their own thing. But, if you slap yer backside on an expensive bike and cover yer back with team kit, you have at least hinted at being vaguely interested in that shared interest.

Well.....we don't have a forum called 'walking along the road chat', but we do have one called 'Cycle Chat'. And we all use it.

A shared interest is just that.

To be fair, I don't expect everyone to acknowledge me and fair play to anyone, who wants to do their own thing. But, if you slap yer backside on an expensive bike and cover yer back with team kit, you have at least hinted at being vaguely interested in that shared interest.

Yebbut you could say the same of other activities. I don't feel an urge to flash my lights and wave at everyone driving the same model of car as me and I certainly don't feel an urge to wave and say hello to everyone in Tescos because their trolley hints vaguely at a shared interest in getting the week's shopping in. So why would I feel the need to do so to someone just because they are on a bike (and I never wear team kit anyway)

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
I was brought up to believe it was a community thing, just as it was when my dad started cycling and got me hooked. Fair do's if you don't want to let on that's fine. My problem is with the arrogant/ignorant/snobbish people who make you feel like a balloon for letting on in the first place.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Manners cost nothing. The first time might have been distracted by something, but the second time? (although from the way you described the road he might have been concentrating on the road ahead, particularly if he didn't know the road. I happens sometimes)

He was probably cursing you the third time though! ^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition if it pushes us to improve, even if it is mostly meaningless :smile:

I try to say hi when im out cycling or running to someone doing the same because its like a community thing, plenty of people say hi to eachother when out for a walk/walking the dog too, its hardly imposing. I know some find it a bit odd, but it strikes me as weirder that 2 cyclists can cross paths for a while and theyll act like they dont see the other human.

A couple of weeks ago, i overtook some lycra roadie who was taking it easy up a short hill and then I ended up racing him so hard the next 1-2 miles on a slight decline i thought i was actually going to throw up at the junction we stopped at. I thought he'd have enjoyed a little race and he'd been drafting me rather closely, but totally blanked me as we stopped stood a couple of metres apart in the countryside.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Most motorbike riders acknowledge each other and help other when in trouble. It is just the done thing. Bicycle riders do it on the continent too so why not do it overhere as well.
My chain came off on one of my rides last week and as I was putting it back on, a cyclist stopped and ask me if I was ok. I thought that was kind of him and appreciated the effort. Like someone said, the world needs more kindness and I think riders belong to this world. So, keep acknowledging your fellow riders, I do.

Top Bottom