My trip with my toddler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Last weekend saw my much awaited and planned for trip with my toddler. Weather was hit and miss, but overall, we both had so much fun. We didn't go far from home (25 miles atthe furthest point), but it didn't matter.
I picked him up from the childminder just before mid-day on Friday and we set off for Cheddar along the Strawberry Line. He slept most for just over an hour and we stopped in Winscombe for a picnic lunch before continuing to Cheddar, where I had booked us into the massive soft play. He loves it there, and had an absolute ball. We then headed for the campsite (Petruth Paddocks- great for families), pitched our tent and made some dinner. He then ran around like the spunky little lad he is, asked for more food,and then drifted off to sleep.
Saturday, he was up fairly early, so we had a wander around the campsite before breakfast, then he had a play in the play park, and we packed up and set off towards Brean. We stopped in a cafe for lunch, a playground in Bleadon, and made it to the campsite for around 2. There was a playground on site, which he loved, and spent the entirety of the afternoon and evening there and was out by 6:15, which is early for him.
The route to Brean was mostly on quiet roads and a bit of off-road along the a shared path.
Sunday morning saw us up early once again, a play in the playground, breakfast at the cafe, and more play before hitting the beach. Someone fell asleep on the way to the beach. He eventually woke up and had a play in the sand. We then headed off towards Kingston Seymour (near Clevedon and home) for our last night of camping. This route was mostly shared paths and quiet roads with the exception of a 4 mile stretch on the A370. TBH, I stayed on the pavement as much as I could for the duration, but there was no avoiding the road in any way, shape, or form. There were several spats of heavy rain and I did contemplate just going home, but it eventually dried out so to the campsite. The site was basic, but clean and there were fishing lakes and lots of birds on site (my son loves birds). So we just ran around and had fun until bed.
We had such a good weekend, but I definitely packed waaayyyy too much stuff for him. I'll definitely be reducing the packing list for next year (as well as rearranging how I pack everything)

20230820_172332.jpg

20230820_105842.jpg

20230819_151347.jpg

20230819_090653.jpg

20230819_112311.jpg

20230820_101851.jpg

20230818_163517.jpg

20230818_165538.jpg

20230819_090646.jpg

20230818_132334.jpg

Love it, what a great way to go on holiday, via bike and trailer. Your toddler will remember this and I am sure recall it with fond memories when older.

My family and I are currently camping in Whitby. It’s the first time for my youngest while my older two have been a few times with me and with scouts.

We’ve hired a fire pit and cooked some marshmallows, thoroughly recommend doing that with toddlers; kids were all in awe of the fire.

The campsite has an ice cream cafe/parlour, football goals, a park, sunflower field and pumpkin field. It’s called Beacons Farm and I’d thoroughly recommend it if you staying in the North York Moors.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Love it, what a great way to go on holiday, via bike and trailer. Your toddler will remember this and I am sure recall it with fond memories when older.

My family and I are currently camping in Whitby. It’s the first time for my youngest while my older two have been a few times with me and with scouts.

We’ve hired a fire pit and cooked some marshmallows, thoroughly recommend doing that with toddlers; kids were all in awe of the fire.

The campsite has an ice cream cafe/parlour, football goals, a park, sunflower field and pumpkin field. It’s called Beacons Farm and I’d thoroughly recommend it if you staying in the North York Moors.

Beacon singular, but yes I know it well and their ice-cream is excellent, just next to the Willy Arms in Sneaton, scene of many a 6th form disco!

Yes your correct. Beacon not Beacons. Pub is still there!

It is probably too short but I’d love to see a hill climb up Robin Hoods Bay Bank. Start at the slipway to the sea and climb up to the car park at the station.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes your correct. Beacon not Beacons. Pub is still there!

It is probably too short but I’d love to see a hill climb up Robin Hoods Bay Bank. Start at the slipway to the sea and climb up to the car park at the station.

Logistical nightmare - you would need it to start at low tide, so there is enough room to hold the staters at the bottom etc!

Also very narrow in places. Its better appreciated on foot, from the bottom and having a pint or two in each pub upto the Victoria at the top, then stay there and call a cab at some point....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit of cheek imho, next time get them a tag a long with pedals so they can do their share ;)

well done , looks like you all had a great time

tom73

Guru

Know it well if you ever join the CCC you get to stay cheeper. Know a good few site in north Yorkshire we love the place.

Top Bottom