Interrail with Brompton trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I bought a one-month Interrail ticket in the half-price sale last spring, and finally set off on the trip today. I'm currently on the train to Harwich.

I have a Brompton for all the non-train bits, and because I generally hate being without a bike. Here it is all packed and ready to go.

IMG_20230403_171048.jpg

Not sure I've got the packing right yet, and the front looks particularly bulky as I have jacket and layers in there that I expect to be wearing at other times. I've been through the packing list again and there's nothing too profligate - the only luxuries are a sleeping bag (you never know), a European map book and a compact camera with a good zoom lens.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I bought a one-month Interrail ticket in the half-price sale last spring, and finally set off on the trip today. I'm currently on the train to Harwich.

I have a Brompton for all the non-train bits, and because I generally hate being without a bike. Here it is all packed and ready to go.

View attachment 684202

Not sure I've got the packing right yet, and the front looks particularly bulky as I have jacket and layers in there that I expect to be wearing at other times. I've been through the packing list again and there's nothing too profligate - the only luxuries are a sleeping bag (you never know), a European map book and a compact camera with a good zoom lens.

This sounds brilliant!
Where do you plan on going?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
My first day consisted of cycling from Hook of Holland to Haarlem, a distance of about 90km, with a stop in the Hague for some brief sightseeing. The cycling infrastructure is breathtaking, but I still didn't find the route-finding that instinctive and am sure I meandered around a bit. I largely took the coastal path which runs through an extensive dune landscape, and was lucky to have a beautiful sunny day for it, though with a headwind. I finished by catching a train to Alkmaar where I had a hostel booked.
The Brompton is doing well so far, I'm quite pleased with the little beast!

IMG_20230404_072602.jpg

IMG_20230404_091013.jpg

IMG_20230404_101757.jpg

IMG_20230404_115556.jpg

IMG_20230404_122651.jpg

IMG_20230404_141829.jpg

IMG_20230404_155323.jpg

IMG_20230404_164641.jpg

IMG_20230405_080035.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Had my first Brompton puncture today, on the back wheel. I was at the start of a 30km downhill ride (I had caught the train up), and a short way down the road I got the flat, while it was sleeting around me. Bugger this I thought, I need a video to remind me how to get that wheel off and don't fancy trying out here for the first time. Luckily however the road was following the railway so I walked down to the next station and caught the next train down.
I fixed it in the hostel corridor and made it to my next train with moments to spare. Something is still not right though, I have a knocking on downhills but will look again in the morning. Disaster averted.
For all that though, I'm loving this little bike.

At Arosa, before the puncture
IMG_20230411_115518.jpg

At Scuol in the Engadine
IMG_20230410_145113.jpg

Takeaway kebab in Karlsruhe
IMG_20230408_204127.jpg

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Rob - I'm loving the pictures and travelog. I'm also hugely jealous - although the Prof and I will be setting off up the North Sea Coastal route from Hoek in July on our Bromptons.....so not too long to wait.

Can I ask you what lock you are using? It looks just the job on the top tube.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I dream of doing something like this with my five year old son when he’s older. Here’s hoping I don’t put him off riding by the time he’s old enough!

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Rob - I'm loving the pictures and travelog. I'm also hugely jealous - although the Prof and I will be setting off up the North Sea Coastal route from Hoek in July on our Bromptons.....so not too long to wait.

Can I ask you what lock you are using? It looks just the job on the top tube.

It's an Abus Bordo Granit+ that cost £85 in Decathlon (and a bit more elsewhere). It feels as secure as these things can be but is unfortunately too short to give much flexibility for what you lock to - a D-lock would have been as good. I think you can buy longer ones but this already weighs 1.5kg.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
The story of my day :
IMG_20230412_154910.jpg

One thing about Bromptons is that almost everything on them is an unusual size.
I had a repeat of my puncture problem today, when the patch I'd put on the pinch puncture yesterday failed halfway down a long descent. Nothing for it, I needed a new inner tube (I have one, somewhere, at home but could I find it when I was packing?).
So, a long search in a skiing town for an open bike shop, and they don't have any 16" tubes. But they are helpful and ring around and find one in a town an hour's train ride away. Well, I have a train pass and it was another spectacular mountain route, so off I went. It ended up taking most of the day and I am now back in the (very pleasant) hostel where I started.

Oh, and now the rear is fixed, I realise that the increasing clicking is actually coming from the front, which needs a good hub service. I popped into another bike shop, they agreed with my analysis but said that would be a long job as the parts are non-standard. Anyway, we agreed that the wheel won't fail so I guess I'm stuck with the noise till I'm home.

This is about where I was when I got this morning's flat
IMG_20230412_101625.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom