Another Overnight Adventure with my Son.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So Friday afternoon after he returned from school, on the spur of the moment, I asked my son if he fancied another bike trip. So Saturday morning after hastily packing we cycled down to the train station and took the Train to Uelzen to start a route I'd had in my mind for a little while now.

The train station itself is a relatively small provisional station, however, in 2000 it was renovated by the celebrated Austrian Architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Hundertwasser deplored straight lines and the resultant station is an amazing work of art as well as a tourist attraction in it's own right. Sadly 20 years on it's looking a little shabby and in need of a spruce up.

IMG_20230930_115503520.jpg

After lingering for a while, we set forth through town and into a forest on the edge of town. Stopping at a bench to eat some lunch we noticed a series of cages and pens all around. Investigating we discovered a mini wildlife park open to all, containing Owls, Wild Boar and deer amongst others. We finally tore ourselves away and set forth on our adventure.

IMG_20230930_122651770.jpg

The trails through the forest were firm and fast flowing and we made good progress under the early Autumn sun, chatting and riding along. Several kilometres later the forest trails give way to small country roads bordered by small villages then back out into the open country side.

IMG_20230930_131503889.jpg

Fields are full of workers and tractors bringing in the Autumn harvest and a few times we are passed by large machinery.

IMG_20230930_131122923.jpg

For the most part we had been riding on good forest tracks, but from time to time the route turned wilder and the trail under our wheels much rougher, this proved hard work for my son, who laboured on tired legs not used to the effort involved. We rested often and took long snack breaks, often taking time to take it all in and enjoy the peace and solitude together.

IMG_20230930_144614934.jpg

The sheer variety of the route also helped stave off any frustrations, it was challenging, but interesting. One time we took a junction in the forest to suddenly arrive onto some elevated boards traversing over a small river and wetland. A challenging and enjoyable section of ride, we paused yet again to enjoy the small shelter and play around on the bridge.

IMG_20230930_150029902.jpg

All the while our route had been taking us steadily North, instead of Southwest and there was a deliberate reason for that. Bisecting our route was a large tract of land, strictly off-limits, a military ordnance testing ground. Understandably the exact boundaries of this had been a little hard to ascertain, so I'd been playing it safe and trying to head up and over it's Northern Boundary. I was stopped though by a large gate and sign that read: Explosives! Danger to life! Walking Forbidden!

IMG_20230930_150754074.jpg

Reading the many signs festooned around I soon determined that whilst the gates were open, it was permitted to cross the range on this track, just don't step off it, especially if you value your life! Certainly adds some variety to the ride. We crossed into the range and rode through forest at first, before emerging onto open Heathland where large concrete bunkers like giant Daleks peppered the landscape. It wasn't long before we were crossing through the boundary gates on the other side and back onto more welcoming public land. We were well and truly onto open heathland now and as the afternoon wore on we we grew more tired.

IMG_20230930_160542403.jpg

My son still didn't call for the magic bungee to be deployed though, and plodded stoically on, as early evening approached we crossed into the campsite that would be our home for the night. A couple of lone families were staying in the Holiday houses at the edge of the camp, but we were strangely the only ones actually camping on the site itself. We picked a spot next to the lake and popped our tent up, before enjoying a lovely meal on the stove as the sun went down on a lovely days adventure.

Overall 33.1 km and 186 metres of height gain.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Brilliant! What wonderful memories for you both 🤗

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Day Two
Waking up after a lovely nights sleep we packed away the tent and made breakfast. Marvelling all the while at the shabby empty campsite that had provided a nice home for the night.

IMG_20231001_085829203.jpg

We swing our legs over our bikes and headed onwards and onto the Teifental, a large area of open heathland to our South. The heather is no longer in bloom, but it's still a lovely site to behold.

IMG_20231001_094124413.jpg

The trails here are sandy and hard work on our legs, but the scenery and solitude make for some lovely riding.

IMG_20231001_095040081.jpg

Before long we are heading back into the pine forest that makes up a large section of this landscape and my son is loving the riding through the tunnel of trees.

IMG_20231001_101807518.jpg

The easy kilomtres soon end as we slog upwards through rough forest tracks now, whilst this is a flat landscape the rough trail and steady incline is telling. We top out our ride at the giddy heights of 121 metres above sea level, before hitting a beautifully surfaced trail. Spirits are soon soaring as we fly down a lovely surface track under the canopy of broadleaved Oaks. As the trail splits I look at my son and decide to take the longer route home and we head left and deeper into the woods, turning this way and that. Before long we emerge onto trails we have walked in the past and familiarity perks him up as we reminisce about old walks with friends. The trail now turns West and suddenly we come across a barrier to our progress.

IMG_20231001_120034694.jpg

There has been some major work here, tearing up the old sandy trail and replacing it with a firm dirt road, more problematically a diversion would entail adding kilometers that we could ill afford. I decide to hop the barrier instead, it is Sunday after all and there will be no one around today. So with a heave we round the barrier and keep going. Whilst I'm sad to see the old lovely trail ripped up, the newer smoother surface facilitates more rapid progress, a fact my sons tired legs are grateful for. We saw no one and nothing for the several kilometres to the barrier on the other side, I'm glad I decided to hop over it.

My son is tired now though and the trail is broken and muddy, there's nothing for it and I deploy the magic bungee to grateful sighs. The next kilometers are tough for me, but moral is restored and we soon are flying along again solo. Suddenly up ahead on a rise in the trail, we see a stag silhouetted on the skyline, his Antlers are magnificent and we pause awhile and watch each other before he turns away and disappears into the trees. The last kilometers are ahead now and the trail alternates between mud and puddles, fun times as the bike skates and slides around
IMG_20231001_131636154.jpg

We are close to home now though and as we traverse the last of the forest my son is buoyed as he passes benches and other markers that he remembers from other rides, his exhaustion temporarily forgotten as he realises that home is not so far away and then we reach the edge of town. As we roll into the garden at the end of the trip we are already full of tales of Stags and Wildlife parks, warnings of unexploded bombs and bronze age burial mounds. All round a grand weekend adventure leaving us hungry for the next one.

Today was 46.7 kilometers and 208 metres of height gain.

Overall we travelled 79.9 kilometres over two enjoyable days.

rivers

How far can I go?
It sounds like you two had an amazing time. These are the types of trips I hope to enjoy with my son when he's older (for now, he gets to enjoy them being towed along).

Wonderful, wonderful write up! Thank you for sharing.

I think the fact that he was up for a spontaneous trip says a lot!

As we roll into the garden at the end of the trip we are already full of tales of Stags and Wildlife parks, warnings of unexploded bombs and bronze age burial mounds.
A great reminder that a simple, spontaneous overnighter can be very satisfying and inspiring - for man as well as boy.
(Well, I say spontaneous but it seems like you had done your research).

As always I have a question......... ^_^
What do a father & son eat in a quiet German campsite for dinner & breakfast? ^_^
I was thinking that your bags might be lighter than usual but then again, probably not.

And, if I may, a teeny, tiny literary criticism. I get the need for anonymity but the little fella needs a name, (even something like junior). Your writing is fluid and real but a name will help it flow seamlessly and give the young lad his independence. Sorry!

I'm guessing that October in northeastish Germany marks the end of these adventures for the winter so (no pressure!) I'll start looking forward to a Spring instalment. ^_^

Great writing, great pictures and a great thing to do.
Well done to the two of you.
And thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks @rivers My son was 8 when we undertook the first trip, he's 10 now, so hopefully it won't be too many years into the future that I'll be reading about your trips with your son. It's was great though to read about your recent adventure with him.

(Well, I say spontaneous but it seems like you had done your research).

Well I've always got a few trip ideas on the go, but it's amazing how busy family life is and we rarely have a complete weekend free, so it was really nice when I realised this one was and just decided on the spur of the moment to go, I was pleasantly surprised though when he agreed!

What do a father & son eat in a quiet German campsite for dinner & breakfast? ^_^

We had filled tortellini with fresh pesto, followed up with cheese and biscuits for dinner. Breakfast was home made Granola washed down with fresh coffee for me and fruit tea for him. We did have a bit of spare space in the bags that was filled with nice food and a few treats!

And, if I may, a teeny, tiny literary criticism. I get the need for anonymity but the little fella needs a name, (even something like junior). Your writing is fluid and real but a name will help it flow seamlessly and give the young lad his independence. Sorry!

It's a good point I'll think of something that makes it flow a bit better next time!

I'm guessing that October in northeastish Germany marks the end of these adventures for the winter

Maybe with the kids, but I might still squeeze a cheeky overnighter in!

rivers

How far can I go?
Thanks @rivers My son was 8 when we undertook the first trip, he's 10 now, so hopefully it won't be too many years into the future that I'll be reading about your trips with your son. It's was great though to read about your recent adventure with him.

Well I've always got a few trip ideas on the go, but it's amazing how busy family life is and we rarely have a complete weekend free, so it was really nice when I realised this one was and just decided on the spur of the moment to go, I was pleasantly surprised though when he agreed!

We had filled tortellini with fresh pesto, followed up with cheese and biscuits for dinner. Breakfast was home made Granola washed down with fresh coffee for me and fruit tea for him. We did have a bit of spare space in the bags that was filled with nice food and a few treats!

It's a good point I'll think of something that makes it flow a bit better next time!

@chriswooody my son isn't yet two,but we did head off on our first adventure in August (complete with camping). I look forward to the day he can ride his own bike (not that I'm wishing this time away now).

Thanks, Chris
We had filled tortellini with fresh pesto, followed up with cheese and biscuits for dinner. Breakfast was home made Granola washed down with fresh coffee
Wow! I want to go on an overnighter with ye! ^_^

Let's hope so! Looking forward to it!
(I'm waiting for the temps to cool down here - daily temps into the 30's currently ^_^)

Top Bottom