Riding home from Hamburg with my son.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Last summer my wife took the kids to Hamburg for the day and when they came back full of excited tales my son made a random comment that triggered a series of events that lead to a plan. That plan was to take the train to Hamburg and this time, cycle home. It's roughly 160 km of cycling if you take the scenic way, which involves minimal roads and lots of forest as well as the Lüneburg Hiede that lies in between. The Lüneburg Heide is one of the largest features of the Northern German plain, a large area of heathland, geest and woodland that covers much of Northern Lower Saxony. The geest is a gentle rolling landform created from glacial till after the retreat of the last glaciers and has left behind a predominately sandy, gravelly soil. These poor soils were home to extensive forests, populated by Birch, Pine and Sessile Oaks. Later Neolithic farmers started to extensively graze the land and the animals would eat the juvenile trees, causing large gaps to appear in the forest cover, grazing resistant heather would colonise the over grazed areas and the heathland started to emerge. Successive generations of farmers have found ways to manage the poor soils and create farmable arable soils. The resultant balance of the three landscapes, heathland, woodland and farmland, has been in steady flux for thousands of years now and the whole area is regarded as a cultural landscape, rather than a natural one.

I plotted a route home across this landscape that used some of the European Divide trail, along with long distance walking paths and my own heathland ride from 2 years ago. It may not have the wow factor of a large highland region here, but with care you can create an amazing route that explores the blanks spaces on a map and has a real wild and remote feeling.

So with loaded bikes this Easter break, we set off from home to the train station, full of excitement for the adventure ahead. The weather was set fair for the days ahead, but whilst the sun was shining a bitter Northerly airstream was over us that would bring some seriously cold night time temperatures. We alighted from the high speed train in Hamburg's main station and orientated ourselves, the first destination was the Elbe river. Hamburg city centre isn't the most cycle friendly of German cities and we ended up riding the 3 kilometres to the river mixed in with lots of traffic and for safety we crossed junctions as pedestrians, pushing the bikes.

P1010703.JPG

Stopping at the river we found a busy pedestrian path overlooking the water and took a breather before pushing the bikes towards a nondescript looking building. There are no bridges in the immediate vicinity, instead we were to take a much more novel route across. Around the side of the building was a large entrance into a cargo lift that would carry us and the bikes underground and into the entrance of the Elbe tunnel. This historic tunnel, built in 1907, provides pedestrian and bike access to the other side of the Elbe river, 500 metres away.

P1010709.JPG

On the South side it's all quiet, there is a nice bike path that winds its way through the myriad waterways that form the South side of Hamburg. A cruise ship is docked at one berth and towers over everything, the scale is immense. Elsewhere a metal bridge meanders in a huge arc over a meeting of numerous canals, the place is a hive of activity. After a pleasant few kilometers on a lovely cycleway we come to the next major river crossing, the South Elbe. I was a little anxious about what I might find there, but the last thing I was expecting was a large pedestrian bridge, looking for all the world like a bridge designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, a great way to cross the river.

P1010712.JPG

So far we had been riding on tarmac through the Southern part of this great city, as we passed through the busy suburb of Harburg, that was about to change. After a challenging, busy junction and a short diversion to avoid a closed section, we alighted on the shores of Außenmühlenteich, a large lake that signified the edge of the city proper.

P1010717.JPG

Beautiful gravel paths bring us around the Western shore and from there out into the countryside where we could look out onto open fields and take a quick lunch break in the spring sunshine.

P1010722.JPG

A succession of forest paths now opened out in front of us, rising and falling between the trees, steep uphills followed by exhilarating downs, mysterious single track and wide open trails. Never quite knowing where the trails would take us next, the sense of adventure and exploration was brilliant.

P1010731.JPG

P1010726.JPG

We take frequent breaks in the sunshine, going at my son's pace, trying not to wear him out and keep the day fun and enjoyable. Food is an issue though, the home made flapjacks and energy balls are fine, but we're craving more and there's nothing out here. I've bought the Towwhee along, basically a glorified bungee cord that can connect the the two bikes and at times it gets deployed to tow my son along and give him a much needed rest along with a physiological boost. Then as we both start to flag we hit a really tough section, the foresters have been here wreaking havoc on the land, the trail completely vanishes and after vainly riding some of it, we give up and haul and push the rest of the way through.

P1010736.JPG

Luckily it's only a short section, but the energy levels are really low now, we thankfully hit a nice flowing gravel track that takes us out of the woods and onto the edge of a town where to our delight we see a supermarket. We gratefully stop and load up on food, including a nice big cake each and sit on the edge of the car park topping up our sugar levels and watching life go by.

From here the next 10km pass pleasantly enough on a mix of quiet roads and forest tracks, one break in the forest we watch some deer run past us, startled by our presence. Then in the village of Seepensen we turn into a patch of forest that leads us up and onto the Hiede. It's been a constant refrain since we left the city, when will we see the first open Heathland and finally it's here. In the summer when the heather is in bloom it's a riot of colour here, but even today the muted browns look lovely in the spring sunshine.

P1010747.JPG

It's absolutely lovely here, we're heading for the small peak of Brunsberg at a mighty 148m high and a few breaks later we make it and stop for some much needed rest.

P1010749.JPG

It's only 8 km from here to our overnight halt, but it's late in the day and my son is at his limit. These last 8 km are really tough, trying to keep his spirits high with tows and food, we make our slow way on to the village of Handerloh. Wild camping is illegal in Germany, even more so here on the Heide, however, there is a website called 1nite tent, where folk offer a place to pitch in their gardens and we are heading to one now. Finally we roll exhausted into our hosts garden and they couldn't be more friendly and welcoming. I was just expecting a pitch on their lawn, but instead they welcomed us in and offered us food and hospitality, an amazing experience that left a deep impression on my son.

Overall today we covered an amazing 52 kilometers and a height gain of 432 metres.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
DAY TWO.
It was a cold old night with temperatures down to -3, my son slept like a log though. The morning started well with our wonderful hosts making us hot drinks and before long we were saying our reluctant goodbyes and heading out of their garden. Their property backs right onto the open fields and we were soon on our way to another day of adventure.

P1010750.JPG

After a kilometre of lovely riding across a small patch of heathland we come across a choice, to continue on our chosen route, or turn to one side and follow an inviting piece of single track through the trees. We didn't need asking twice and turned onto the single track. It was a narrow ribbon of trail twisting and turning through the trees providing an interesting few kilometers of riding to start the day.

P1010758.JPG

After a while we came across a small hut and decided in true Hobbit style to stop and have a second breakfast as the morning sun started to thaw out our bones.

P1010763.JPG

We're following a long distance footpath that snakes over the Lüneburg Heide, which despite its name is a mix of forest and open heathland. The footpath takes some interesting routes decisions and at one point we dive off over a patch of bog which has been boardwalked over, it all conspires to make the route varied and interesting.

P1010766.JPG

A few kilometres later we emerge from the forest and hit a tough section, the heavy rains of the preceding month has left the trails a boggy mess and the bikes are making heavy weather of it. My son starts to flag, his spirits dipping so I hook him back up for a tow and we pass a moral boosting 20 minutes of towing.

P1010769.JPG

P1010772.JPG

The route is now heading up towards the high point of our ride, the Wilseder Berg at 169 metres above sea level. Here on the Northern German plain there isn't much in the way of high ground and the last metres to the summit are surprisingly steep. We take a break for lunch at the top, celebrating our achievement and watching a steady stream of people coming and going, the only people we'll see all day.

P1010773.JPG

The descent, whilst not that extreme or technical, is single track heaven, a lovely snaking route down over the open heathland that provides a lot of fun and reward for the hard ascent. We do need to temper our speed though to be though considerate of the few folk around.

P1010777.JPG

Several hard kilometers lay ahead now, whether it's the sand of the open Hiede or the churned up mud of the forest trails, it all conspires to suck the speed from our wheels and test the tired muscles of our legs. Several times my son gets a tow as spirits go on a roller coaster of emotions, I'm feeling a tad frustrated myself at our slow progress and have a word with myself several times. I'd hidden various food treats on the bike and some of them make an appearance to boost flagging spirits. A short 2.5 kilometre section of quiet road brings some relief from the relentless off-road slog and we make good time along it, before turning back onto the Heide.

P1010782.JPG

As the afternoon draws to a close we arrive on the outskirts of the town of Soltau and a welcome campsite, we book in and find a lovely spot on a small quiet meadow that's reserved for tents. Unsurprisingly we are the only tent campers here and soon the tent is up and the kettle on. With the unfathomable energy of youth, my son jumps back on his now unladen bike and zooms off around the site exploring while I relax with a hot coffee.

Overall we have covered 34 kilometers, with over 90% of this being off-road, along with 278 metres of height gain, a tough but amazing day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
DAY THREE.
Temperatures were again down to -3 last night and I awoke to a sharp frost on the ground. Last night looking at how tough the route was and the tiredness of my son, coupled with the unseasonably cold weather, I'd made the decision that today would be our last day. I'd phoned my wife and arranged a pick up at a town 35 kilometers away.

P1010783.JPG

First though we needed to start the day. The campsite shop was selling fresh Pain au chocolat as well as Croissants, so loaded up with fresh pastries and hot drinks we started to pack away as the sun rose and started to thaw everything out. We started with a pleasant ride through the forest to the nearby town of Soltau, so far the trail was firm and fast riding.

P1010791.JPG

The route through town is a little awkward but we're soon through and into the wild on the other side. The riding this morning is sublime, the trails are compact and easy to ride, nothing like the energy sapping mud of the last days. We make rapid progress and our spirits are high as we ride along in the morning sun chatting away. A small hamlet provides a wonderful spot under a tree to crash down and consume some food letting the morning sun take the last of the chill from our bones.

P1010795.JPG

It's not much further on after a nice quiet country road that our route climbs up and over the A7, the main North/South Autobahn taking folk to Hamburg and beyond. We stop a while and watch the cars roaring past underneath us, the noise lies in stark contrast to the silence we had been used to.

P1010799.JPG

Soon we are pushing on and back into the calm solitude of the forest. The Hiede is a cultural landscape shaped by centuries of human interaction from the Scot's pine forests to the open heathland caused by grazing and the domestication of sheep, to the fields of Arable crops. It's through this patchwork quilt of land that we are passing now, from one to the next like a whistle stop tour of what all the Hiede has to offer.

P1010801.JPG

Briefly we also ride past an entrance to an artillery firing range, a reminder of the more recent history of this area and it's proximity to the edge of the Iron Curtain, though today there are no tanks or people and the forest is calm and still. We pass on through towards the village of Wietzendorf and the site of the largest and possibly most expensive campsite in Northern Germany. The cold weather hasn't stopped numerous intrepid families in big white motorhomes from holidaying there. A quick lunch break in the village and we look at the last kilometres stretching in front of us. It's been a real pleasant ride today and we have made good time, much better than I was expecting.

P1010805.JPG

Fortified from our break we set off back into the forest and onwards to our final destination. The trails in the forest here are wide and firm and progress is good. We feel a little melancholy that we won't be going the full distance home and that our adventure is nearing its end. At one point we spot a sign proclaiming that we have crossed into the Landkries (A Sort of administrative district) of our town and decided to celebrate with a photo and high fives. We may not be crossing our own town boundary, but we could still celebrate an amazing achievement and a great adventure.

P1010806.JPG

A little further on we then we emerge from the last patch of forest into the small town of Müden and from there onto the car park of a small wildlife park. We collapse onto the grass verge in the sunshine and lie waiting for my wife to arrive. It's been a magic and exhausting 3 days of travel, with many new experiences and memories, my son is exhausted but justifiably happy and proud of his achievements.

Today was 34 kilometres and 158 metres of climbing.

Overall on this trip we rode 122 kilometers and climbed 868 metres with the vast majority being off road and in complete solitude.

Last edited:
What a fabulous experience! And so well written, too!
Thank you so much for sharing it. I thoroughly enjoyed every word.

I passed a wild and crazy few months in Hamburg when I was younger but just as foolish as nowadays. Riding a bike was the only bit of sanity on offer and we made good use of the ferries on the river to haul us out of town and then cycle back. I could lose hours watching huge Cruise ships meandering down the river towering over the barges. I'm glad to note that you didn't have an experience like mine and find yourselves down at the (old) docks and bouncing slowly and painfully over cobbles through a line of catcalling hookers! Maybe when he's older ^_^
There's a tunnel like that in Antwerp that took me an hour to locate since I was looking for a bridge!

Some of those tracks look wonderful for a fun ride and it seems like your son is having a great introduction to the world of bike adventuring.
I enjoyed how you had hidden treats on the bike. I need to get me a treat supplier ^_^ And a tow would be nice now and again!

Kudos to you both!

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks @HobbesOnTour.

Yeah there's certain parts of Hamburg I'd thought I'd best save until he's older!

It's funny I spent many years living in mountainous areas where there were many and varied adventures to be had on my doorstep and I was spoilt for choice. Moving here to the Northern German Plain was a big shift for me and it was hard at first to see where the next adventure would be. It took me a while to see the adventurous opportunities that were there all along, just by exploring those hidden places on the map and getting to understand what the Heide actually was. It's great to now be able to share that with my kids and try to instill a sense of adventure and exploration in them.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks @Cathryn it has been great to see his interest in cycling grow, I'm trying not to push him too hard and hopefully there will be many more adventures in the years ahead. My Daughter is also coming around to the idea of off-road riding and touring as well, we may even be off on a trip in the near future, let's see though!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks @Cathryn it has been great to see his interest in cycling grow, I'm trying not to push him too hard and hopefully there will be many more adventures in the years ahead. My Daughter is also coming around to the idea of off-road riding and touring as well, we may even be off on a trip in the near future, let's see though!

May I respectfully propose that copious amounts of ice-cream has been key to growing cycle buddies in my experience.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
May I respectfully propose that copious amounts of ice-cream has been key to growing cycle buddies in my experience.

Aah, now you see, that's where I'm going wrong! With a penchant for remote off-road routes opportunities for Ice-Cream stops are sadly few and far between. I might actually go back and look again at the route I'd proposed for my daughter and see what I can do!

That said we did treat my son to a quick trip into the wildlife park that my wife picked us up from, along with a portion of chips.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Aah, now you see, that's where I'm going wrong! With a penchant for remote off-road routes opportunities for Ice-Cream stops are sadly few and far between. I might actually go back and look again at the route I'd proposed for my daughter and see what I can do!

Genuinely…ice-cream has been key to getting our son into the outdoors! Initially he got an ice-cream every time he hiked without moaning. Sometimes it was bigger than his head (we lived in America) and I was worried but now we have a kid who can hike and bike for hours and as long as we keep him topped up, he’s unstoppable!!

Top Bottom