I know this has been discussed before but........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
“And newly qualified drivers are up to four times more likely to die in a crash when carrying passengers of the same age than when driving alone.”

That’s a key finding. Drivers show off to their friends.
One of the most scared I have ever been was in the back of a golf gti mark 1 being driven by a friend of a friend when I was 17. He was driving like a total maniac, but i wasn’t in a position to get him to slow down.

Alex321

Veteran
“And newly qualified drivers are up to four times more likely to die in a crash when carrying passengers of the same age than when driving alone.”

That’s a key finding. Drivers show off to their friends.
One of the most scared I have ever been was in the back of a golf gti mark 1 being driven by a friend of a friend when I was 17. He was driving like a total maniac, but i wasn’t in a position to get him to slow down.

Although showing off is certainly an element of it, there is more to it than that. Just the fact that the passengers are likely to be talking and messing about will be a distraction - and they are unlikely at that age to be aware of how much they are distracting the driver.

PK99

Legendary Member
Although showing off is certainly an element of it, there is more to it than that. Just the fact that the passengers are likely to be talking and messing about will be a distraction - and they are unlikely at that age to be aware of how much they are distracting the driver.

That is exactly what happened to my younger daughter.

Leaving work on Friday with a group of colleagues in the car, she reversed at some speed into a parked car in the car park. I had lent her the car. She was distraught and feared I would be cross.

Much to her surprise, I was calm and said I hoped she had learnt her lesson about distracting passengers - and I was pleased it was in a car park not at 70mph on the motorway.

Top Bottom