I know what is wrong with cycling - we don't have hazard lights!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few days ago I saw a car stop at red lights and then put on the hazard lights and edge through the red into the traffic on the main road, and it started me thinking........... so for the last few days I have been watching the use of hazard lights and come to a conclusion

As an observation no-one has a problem with cars driving through pedestrian areas, on pavements, the wrong way down one way systems and so many other offences that cyclists get accused of, and the only difference that I can see is the hazard light

Fit hazard lights on your bike, and so long as they are on you can safely do what you like!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I call them "park where you like" lights

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have never used them. Maybe I should, because I have paid for them. Bloody hell, I have them on 2 motorbikes as well. I have been wasting a fortune.

Steve

Sara_H

Guru
A few days ago I saw a car stop at red lights and then put on the hazard lights and edge through the red into the traffic on the main road, and it started me thinking........... so for the last few days I have been watching the use of hazard lights and come to a conclusion

As an observation no-one has a problem with cars driving through pedestrian areas, on pavements, the wrong way down one way systems and so many other offences that cyclists get accused of, and the only difference that I can see is the hazard light

Fit hazard lights on your bike, and so long as they are on you can safely do what you like!
When my son and three other children and a Mum was nearly squished by a van being reversed along the pavement outside school at home time (the driver then hurled disgusting abuse at me for complaining and claimed children shouldn't be running about all over pavements) I complaind to the police.

The police men took it all very seriously and asked him in future, when he is reversing blindly along a pavement full of primary school children to toot his horn occasionally.

If you move your car with the hazards on, I believe you are committing a further (to any other bad driving you are doing) offence as they are meant to be used whilst stationary only.

Kies

If you move your car with the hazards on, I believe you are committing a further (to any other bad driving you are doing) offence as they are meant to be used whilst stationary only.
Motorway driving - flashers ON, to indicate danger (hard braking/stopping) to fast moving traffic behind you?

Motorway driving - flashers ON, to indicate danger (hard braking/stopping) to fast moving traffic behind you?
Yep everyone does it including me and its probably a good idea .... but still (technically) illegal

mustang1

Guru
I hate hazard lights....often you can only see the right hand ones and so my assumption is that the vehicle is about to pull out.
+1
And bus drivers do this often. The bus you can see in front of you has the left indicator on while the bus parked right in front has the hazards on so you think, as said, the guy is gonna pull out.

classic33

Leg End Member
They're really fitted to help parking enforcement officers. Switching on the "I'm parked illegally" lights guides them quickly and accurately to where the ticket's needed!
Local ones don't seem to have picked up on that one yet.

Top Bottom