I look like a Dalek...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...'cos I stuck a torch on me 'elmet!:biggrin:

That's the way to do it mate!!! I bet you look like Locutus of the Borg in Star Trek

You'll get more nods from the serious lot now. Try not to look though because they dazzle you

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Does that help when you go diving under the duvet ?
Do you recommend constant or flashing mode ?
Is SWMBO happy with a torch tapping on her choccy starfish?
(nothing personal BTFB but I'm thinking of trying the same thing !)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

[img=http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7780/45dn7.th.jpg]

...this is a pic of my helmet. The torch was half inched from SWMBO work (marketing gift) and it is stuconto the lid with an ingenuis (and patented so dont get any ideas) connection system. This system involves some crappy halfords bar foam into which the torch is inserted. This is then wrapped with balck gaffer tape lifted from any old drummer worth his salt. Sticky velcro pads are then scientifikkaly placed on the helmet and gaffer tape and the torch sticks to the helmet. This is good because it is removeable in th edaytime so i dont look even more of a prat on th ehigh street, and I done have to un do th etape each time I need to replace a battery.

Brock

Dalek-costume-brown.jpg

Abitrary

Brock said:

Davros was the only Dalek encasing a humanoid.

Davros' followers were just eels or something inside the case

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well I tested it tonight at it was perfick...confused the hell out of the ignoramus essex drivers...got flashed a lot...oohh didums did my little torch blind you in you ****ing great 4x4's...assh:biggrin:les.

Brock

You won't be saying that when they veer across the road and plant their bull bar in your face because they've lost control after being blinded by a dalek ray.

yenrod

Kick arse dont they Big !

Im well pleased with mine...

They're like a hidden weapon for cyclists ! :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
well I tested it tonight at it was perfick...confused the hell out of the ignoramus essex drivers...got flashed a lot...oohh didums did my little torch blind you in you ****ing great 4x4's...assh:biggrin:les.

Tynan

Veteran
nothing funny about dazzling oncoming traffic, HIghway Code is quite clear on this sort of thing, you'd howl petty damn quick if oncoming traffic had headlights on

last I heard, even 4x4 drivers had the same eyes as everyone else

this smacks of the same self righteous attitude of those boasting about how loud their air zound contraptions are

Peyote

I used two torches on either side of my helmet for an MTB race I did once, every lap there was a bunch of kids shouting "Predator" at me!

PS - Blinding other road users is a bit rude, not to mention potentially dangerous.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

nothing funny about dazzling oncoming traffic, HIghway Code is quite clear on this sort of thing, you'd howl petty damn quick if oncoming traffic had headlights on

last I heard, even 4x4 drivers had the same eyes as everyone else

this smacks of the same self righteous attitude of those boasting about how loud their air zound contraptions are

Firstly my post should not be taken 100% literally, there is an element of fun intended..which you need to be aware of. I am not an idiot and I dont do anything that would risk my life or others.

The head torch is a simple hand torch powered by x2 AAA baterries, it is no competition for any cars headlights let alone their high beams which they invariably leave on & blind cyclists all the time.

Having it on my head allows me to move it. This allows me
to:

Look right at them to get their attention
Look down to 'dim' my light
Seek out objects in the road/potholes
Turning my head from side to side 'flashes' the light. This is useful to 'communicate' with a driver.

I turn the light off under street lamps and on when I ride on unlit lanes etc

My experience is that whatever I do with the light, the on coming traffic slows if it is unsure what i am.

...anyway...even if I did accidently 'blind' a car driver...they do it to me all the time with 10 times the power and dont give a dam about me.

Top Bottom