I Love my Weekends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
What another great weekend.

Having hit the half-century last weekend, I resolved to better both distance and time this weekend.

My regular riding buddy was away, so it was going to be a solo effort. I sat down with Garmin and planned a route from my home (Leigh on Sea in Essex) through Rochford, Hullbridge, Battlesbridge, South Woodham Ferrers, Burnham on Crouch, Maldon and then home via some circuitous route. All in, just a nat's short of the sixty (which I was sure I would make up somehow or other).

Hit the road at 09:30 on a very cold and murky Saturday - with the sun trying it's best to be seen. Cocked up the navigation on the Garmin, so just decided to follow the road signs and rely on memory (from when I used to ride a similar route as a motorcyclist).

It was cold, the route was hilly, could not feel my feet after about 10 miles and, without my mate in tow, there were just the voices in my head to keep me company - but I had a great time.

Although I did not hit my full 60 miles (thanks to some dodgy navigation on my part - thank God I'm not a pilot!!!) I did hit a couple of personal bests. The highlight for me was the longest spell continuously in the saddle without a break - 39 miles - but I was also pretty happy with the time (54.5 miles in 3 hours 28).

For anyone who knows this route, it's pretty undulating (dare I say hilly!!!). And, on the way back, there are two short, sharp climbs - the hill in Hullbridge and Ashingdon hill. I am pleased to say that I did not whimp out on either - and actually managed a half-decent out of the seat effort up the last steep part of the Ashingdon hill (about 48 miles in). Even better than that, though, was making half-decent progress up the Hullbridge hill, whilst two MTBers were walking their steeds up it.

After all of that, the wife insisted that we take the MTBs to the local woods for some off-road action yesterday. She went flipping mental and it was a real hoot watching her get the Trek properly sideways through a couple of turns. We both ended up covered in cr@p and absolutely peeing ourselves with laughter.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; my weekends were never this good before I was cyclist!!!

Dunlopdave

Well done mate your a dam site fitter than me (42 miles in 4hrs40mins) and we only stopped twice for Quick lucozade

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Cheers mate. To be honest, I think you always ride more quickly on your own for some reason - if I had had my mate with me, we could have added at least half an hour to that time through chatting etc. To be honest, had I been with my mate we would probably have stopped at least twice - so that all pushes the time up.

I think the bike and new pedals helped as well - love my Trek 2.3 and I've just got some Specialized BG Comp Shoes and Look Keo pedals - it all makes a difference.

But the main thing is mate - just keep at it - you'll have the times coming down and the miles going up week on week.

Thanks again though. :smile:

re84uk

Well done. I am from Southend and often venture around the Ashingdon/Rochford/Canewdon area. The Ashingdon hill is murder and I have yet to conquer it. I am no where near the fitness level of yourself!

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

Well done. I am from Southend and often venture around the Ashingdon/Rochford/Canewdon area. The Ashingdon hill is murder and I have yet to conquer it. I am no where near the fitness level of yourself!

Cheers mate. There is a great loop that I do with a friend around that area - Rochford to Stambridge - up to Canewdon and loop back via the Ashingdon road. The long drag up to Canewdon is really good for building fitness and the good thing is that, you can shorten the loop and avoid the big hill or - when you feel up to it - just keep straight on to the bottom of the hill and do it.

I've been riding since July last year and in that time have lost 6 stone (honestly). This time last year, I would not have walked up that hill - let alone haul a bicycle up it. So hopefully that's evidence of how quickly the fitness builds.

I promise you, the first time you get up that hill in one hit, it feels like you've won the Tour.

Chalkwell Avenue was my local nemesis hill. That's another good one to train on.

Keep at it mate and you'll soon crack it.

re84uk

Just an update really. Did a fairly short loop (20 miles) today from Southend via Rochford, Stambridge, Canewdon, Ashingdon and back to Southend and managed to get up the Ashingdon hill without stopping woohoo lol.

Top Bottom