I must confess... (ignorance)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbeqs

When I read through these forums I'm more often than not COMPLETELY CLUELESS about what's being said.

If I asked every question every time I had one I'd get banned, I search and read the threads that come up, but a lot of the time I feel out of my depth.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No one gets banned for asking questions, one of the main reasons for the forum is to share information and knowledge. As I've said before, everyone here started out knowing the same thing about bikes and cycling - absolutely nothing.

Ask away.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As above - you won't get banned for asking questions (not ones about cycling anyway ;)) and site policy, certainly for this section, is that there is no such thing as a stupid question so please feel free to ask.

It's also worth considering that any questions from you may get answers that will be helpful to others too.:okay:

Last edited:
When I read through these forums I'm more often than not COMPLETELY CLUELESS about what's being said.

If I asked every question every time I had one I'd get banned, I search and read the threads that come up, but a lot of the time I feel out of my depth.
I've been cycling for years and I still know nowt. Ask as much as you want, somebody will help you.

Davos87

Guru

Here look I will do it for you.
I have two wheels on my bike. Am I doing something wrong??

This is NOT ignorance, this is lack of knowledge, and they are different things here you can self-educate, but only to a point, but especially when people refer to things you don't know about.

I's fair to ask what things mean, how things work, what their effects are, and what things are called... this is education, and one of the most powerful points about community forums like this...
Ask away..... there are many knowledgeable people here who want you to enjoy cycling as much as they do...

Ganymede

Veteran
There's some clever saying somewhere about this - along the lines of either feeling stupid for a moment asking a question or actually BEING stupid for the rest of your life because you worried about looking stupid asking questions... or summink like that.

There is always a lot of "jargon" on hobby sites of any kind, usually it's either old in-jokes, nicknames for things, or acronyms, any of which people will be happy to explain.

My moment of lightbulb came when I realised what the acronym LEJOG stood for - I thought it was something strange and French till I clicked on a link and realised it stood for Lands End to John O'Groats.... I think I realised it when I saw it could be done the other way round too, as JOGLE. Not just an odd spelling for what clowns do on unicycles. Who knew?!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I knew absolutely nothing when I joined this forum.
I still have to ask lots of questions but.................
I am now sometimes able to offer help :smile:
I have a friend who I got into cycling this year and am now able to pass on some the advice/tips/help I got on CC.
as @Ganymede says...........we only look stupid if we dont ask when we need the advice.

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Thanks.... I feel a bit better now.

So... Why are my brakes not working properly, that is, the brake almost touches the handle bar before tightening enough... ... ?

Top Bottom