I need a new chain - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One of the sideplates appeared to have split at the hole for the rivet, from what I could see without my glasses. I can't post a pic because I had no way of carrying an oily chain home with me so it went in a nearby bin.

I am disappointed because It is fairly low mileage, though I suppose every manufacturer will turn out the odd dud now and again.

you will find that the rivet where it shaped is the one that was put in when the chain was fitted. this happens when its not in all the way (0.5mil) its hard to spot. but when your riding you would of felt it caching on the mech/ front chain rings its a bummer when it dose happen.

to stop it happening fit the chains your self and make swore the pin has the same stickng out on both sides.

or use a quick link

spandex said:
you will find that the rivet where it shaped is the one that was put in when the chain was fitted. this happens when its not in all the way (0.5mil) its hard to spot. but when your riding you would of felt it caching on the mech/ front chain rings its a bummer when it dose happen.

to stop it happening fit the chains your self and make swore the pin has the same stickng out on both sides.

or use a quick link

eh ?

Few typos, but by 'where it shaped', do you mean 'where it snapped' ?

- you're suggesting it snapped at the connecting pin ?

No - Joe said it was a SRAM chain, with powerlink.

Must admit I've only had one chain actually snap, which was a Shimano chain which failed as the connecting pin came out (it was still there, but pushed practically all the way out on one side).
Probably that was my fault when I fitted it incorrectly.

Nowadays I always use SRAM or KMC because of powerlink/missing link connection, which as well as being rather more idiot-proof is a damn sight more convenient.

(although KMC make some chains branded as Shimano, so I won't claim that KMC chains are better quality than Shimano - they come out of the same factory...)

andy your right and sorry i missed the bit where joe said it was a sram chain

sram chains where side ways?

take two chains 1 sram and the over shimano and use them both the same to the point where the shimano chain is reading 1 on a chain checker. the sram chain will only be at around .75 ?.

now take the old sram chain and a new one and see how much they flex!. the old will be over 50% more then the new.

.....now take the shimano chain and do the same the % will go down to 10 / 15% why i dont know and nore dose sheldon brown's web site

this is why mickle and lots of overs including me change there chains way before we need to.

Top Bottom