I need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First time posting. I'm moving house and need to move these two bikes on. Could anyone give me advice on either of them they've hung in the garage for years. The Nigel Dean has a lot of surface rust 'sweat from working on turbo trainer!' it looks as if it's a renovation project. The Saracen isn't in too bad of condition although it looks like front suspension has collapsed.

Any advice welcome - are they worth selling - what are they worth?
rsz_3nigel_dean.jpg

rsz_nigel_dean_01.jpg
rsz_nigel_dean_02.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_scaracen.jpg
    rsz_scaracen.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 36
  • rsz_scaracen.jpg
    rsz_scaracen.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41
  • rsz_1scaracen_01.jpg
    rsz_1scaracen_01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 34
  • rsz_scaracen_02.jpg
    rsz_scaracen_02.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 38

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Saracen's worthless, the Nigel Dean's potentially a nice bike, though given the state of it you'd probably be talking £50?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't bin the Saracen though, take it to a bike project where they'll have the bits to give it a new lease of life or be able to strip any good components off it.

As for the Nigel Dean will it 'clean up' a bit or is the rust too bad in that it'll need stripping and re-finishing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Saracen isn't terribly exciting, but it's pre turn of the century and looks original. The boys over on Retro bikes might pay £50-100 for that.

I doubt you'd get more than the price of a drink for something with a knackered fork, original looking or not. It's the sort of thing that I would fix up on the cheap by swapping on a rigid fork from a scrap 26"rigid frame. The country is awash with 26" MTB's; there are probably more 26ers (of wildly differing quality admittedly) around than every other type of bike put together.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh, they go nuts over old elastomer forks, even just for the parts. Old MTBs and parts on RB go for far more than the market value elsewhere because they're all rabid loons with more money than sense - don't judge Retro bikes sales by the standards of normal folk, cos that they aint.

I do a bit of selling over there myself so know how they roll. One of them will definite want a pre 1995 chromo Sarry with a trailng crossbar and side mounted cable stops - two a penny they definitely are not. The cou try is not awash of bikes of that age and appeal, although that appeal is limited to those that collect bikes for that era... And they're all on RB. Go look through their sales ads if you dont believe me.

Have a look...

www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

£50-100 is perfectly realistic.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @Cycleops
@Itshillyhere i might be interested in both depending where you are in the country in relation to Northamptonshire

OP
OP
I

Itshillyhere

Thanks for your replies everyone - some useful info. I'll have to have a look on Retro Bikes. Cycleops live a 'canny' few mikes away in Co.Durham.

midlife

Guru
Triathlon and Radius were his race orientated frames BITD iirc although he is more known for his tourers. 531 so not shabby and usually had Suntour kit fitted...

Top Bottom