I need help with interview questions guys!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In short I have had to re-apply for my own job because there is another member of staff who has been here for years, has upset the new ops manager and has found herself with less and less responsibilites!! NOW they want to put both my role and hers together!! However, She has done the project co-ordinating in the firm for 6 years I have only done it hear a couple of times but have had about 3yrs experience in a different industry - She on the other hand can not even open CAD let alone read a drawing!!! And I am the estimator!!! Oh and no - there has been no offer of a wage rise in line with the extra responsibilities!! And yes I have updated my CV.. however, the job is 5 mins from home & it will prove to be very costly to move!! Plus I love my job :-( Any suggestions? I am stuck for questions as I only got the job 16mths ago and so I can't really see what else I can say to the SAME interviewers!!!

domtyler

Über Member
Generally, just get your head around the fact that you have to SELL, SELL, SELL yourself. Tell the interviewer why you are so perfect for the job. Make a list of all your achievements and relate these, illustrating how you have added value. Be upbeat, be positive, be charming. While you're there, why not negotiate for the pay rise? After all, you are so good at the job that you are worth it for them to keep you.

Tell them by example how your skills make you indispensible. Illustrate your application with tasks that are essential to the success of the business and which you, and only you, have the skills to perform.

OP
OP
Tinkstheminks

Tinkstheminks

asterix said:
What did you tell the interviewers 16 month's ago? Give us a starting point!

16mths ago I was interviewed for a role which infact did cover both roles! But after 3 months he wanted me to concentrate on the Estimating to get become fast at the turn-round!! So although I had experience in ordering and arranging delvs, organising subbies.. etc, I have been simply estimating and producing tenders for the past year... kind of de-skilled but still capable and more over... they already know this!!! It's crazy!!

OP
OP
Tinkstheminks

Tinkstheminks

alecstilleyedye said:
sounds like they want rid of your colleague, and are dressing it up as a reorganisation.

don't be complacent though, and good luck :rolleyes:
I agree!! So the question is - Do I WANT to work for the still? It's a game and I dont get paid enough to play it for my liking!!! LOL

Get Martin Yate "The Ultimate CV Book". It may be in your library.

It's badly named as it's not really about writing CVs as such. Its core is a set of questions that you apply to all your previous, and your current position. This generates a load of relevant raw material, examples, and information that can be used for job applications, CVs, interviews etc.

I did it. It took a day of slog to do. I then filled out 2 application forms, in about 2 hours each (very quick for me). I got two interviews, and a job offer that was at a strategic delivery level with a 50% salary increase on my then job. It's a very good book.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Technically they won't have to pay more if you accepted the job originally that covered both parts of the roles... but then if you don't get it they will undoubtedly be in hot water for giving you the role, changing it and then not giving you the original role when it 'returned'... sounds well dodgy if you ask me!

asterix

Comrade Member
Tell them that previously you had to hide your disappointment at no longer being asked to do the co-ordinating role and that you would be delighted to have the opportunity to perform both tasks again.

Whatever the outcome you can still seek another job and the challenge is good practice. If they really want rid of your colleague, she's on a downer either way.

killiekosmos

Veteran
My 2p worth:

Things they might ask you (so prepare some answers, take notes in with you too. The interviewers have notes, so can you!

* what skills/experience you have
* how have you made a difference?
* what is your best attribute? (and worst?)
* how would your colleagues describe you?
* how would you improve the role?

Also remember some people get the same experiences year after year, while others get a wider range of experiences, so length of service not always important.

You can ask them:
* how does role differ from present?
* what do they expect?
* what do they thing of your current performance?

Good luck. Remember, the panel are nervous too.

OP
OP
Tinkstheminks

Tinkstheminks

Just got out!!! Phew... one and a half hours of tests!!! I was given two drawings one cad one pdf and from them I had to produce two estimates!!! As I do everyday!!!!!! Then I had three test to demonstrate that I can use EXCEL to a high standard!!!! I couldn't remember how to put a double lined box around the outside of the cells!!!!! I could produce a spreadsheet with formuli..... remove and add details from other spreadsheets!!!! but could I remember that small odd requirements!!! NO!!!! Ho Hum!!! :wacko: Thanks for your input guys... I followed MOST of them to the letter and feel if I didn't get it then thats that!!! We find out on Monday who's staying!!!

killiekosmos

Veteran
Sounds as though it went OK.

Try not to think about it over the weekend - you can't change anything now.

Relax, go for a run on the bike, have a drink or three....

Good luck for Monday - let us know how it goes.

buggi

Bird Saviour
well, if your colleague can't even open CAD sounds like you're the winner. As said, relax and don't think about Monday until you get there. i'm sure you'll be fine

Top Bottom