I need to clamp my bike to a scaffold pole for a workstand, ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raphael4

Hello! I have a vertical 48mm scaffold tube in my house that is in a fixed position and am trying to work out the best way to clamp by seatpost/seattube/top tube to it so I can do repairs and maintenance on the bike.

I know there are right-angle scaffold couplers i.e

https://cormsquare.com/TinyMceUploads/_04152016110455322_9893aa21-59bb-4c4c-aa8b-b99315ccdf24.jpg or aerial mast clamps

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sBsAAOSw3xJVbZdn/s-l300.jpg

the trouble is the bike would be too close to the scaffold pole, and i'd be unable to turn the pedals. I need something like the above picture, but with a clamp distance of around 20cm to give the necessary clearance.

Slick

Guru
You could just use a small butt coming off your main tube in either a T or L formation.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think you would need to be very careful with scaffold-style clamps because they could easily crush/ding your frame. You need to spread the clamping force using softer, wider jaws. I use one of these and temporarily clamp it to a kitchen worktop using a couple of woodwork cramps having removed the top drawer of the kitchen unit below. I think it cost under £20. It doesn't need much storage space.

71BHwNnYjnL._SL1500_.jpg

There's lots on Youtube about DIY stands, BTW.

OP
OP
R

raphael4

The only trouble with that ^ clamp is the diameter of the tube, I cannot use my scaffold couplers to join it as the dia looks too small, scaffold is 48mm. Otherwise it looks like a neat solution.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The only trouble with that ^ clamp is the diameter of the tube, I cannot use my scaffold couplers to join it as the dia looks too small, scaffold is 48mm. Otherwise it looks like a neat solution.
The tubes on the clamp I showed are about 35mm OD. You could get a Kee Klamp fitting for 48mm OD scaffold tube and bolt it to the base plate or something.
https://keesystems.com/store/fittings/kee-klamp/70-rail-support.html
Whatever you do, jaws like that are pretty useful.

alicat

Legendary Member
Or you could just buy a standalone workstand. Aldi and Lidl have them on special offer from time to time as do Edinburgh Co-op.

Slick

Guru
I think you would need to be very careful with scaffold-style clamps because they could easily crush/ding your frame. You need to spread the clamping force using softer, wider jaws. I use one of these and temporarily clamp it to a kitchen worktop using a couple of woodwork cramps having removed the top drawer of the kitchen unit below. I think it cost under £20. It doesn't need much storage space.

View attachment 382502

There's lots on Youtube about DIY stands, BTW.
There's a whole host of scaffold fittings available nowadays. You have all sorts of different materials used to erect scaffolding including alloy and even fibreglass and they all have different outside diameters and torque requirements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom