I Need to have a go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
:whistle:
But i've allways want to have a go of an recumbent! but just dont know anyone with one??
Are they comfy / faster?
Comfy: yes.Faster: depends on terrain and engine, but certainly can be. Trials: bikefix in Lambs Conduit St let you try them. London recumbents in Dulwich let you hire them. The Sunday London Ride often has one of mine on. Depends on the weather whether its an easy one to learn on though.
There are a few companies a little further afield that'll let you try few. its normally worth giving as many as possible a try before you commit to anything.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Are they comfy / faster?

My Ratrike, with loaded trailer and loaded panniers, got up to the heady speed of 25.2mph at the weekend despite having so much rolling drag in the brakes and bearings that it needed pedaling to go down hill!
No aches or pains despite doing 52 miles of flats and hills. It is so comfy that it is more of a pain to have to get up and out of the seat to do stuff.

The chap at D-Tek is really nice to talk to.

There are as many different kinds of 'bent as there are uprights, and for as many different kinds of use. Mine is a long wheelbase tourer. It's light for a 'bent and folds for (relatively) easy transport. It is more aerodynamic than say, an upright hybrid or a mountain bike, but not really competitive with a road bike. I bought it mainly for long relaxing cruises at which it is great.

Other bents might be heavier, but more laid back and therefore more aero and faster some are both light and aero. Stiffer frames tend to be better at acceleration and climbing -as with all bikes. What counts as 'stiff' however, will depend on how big and strong you are, and your pedaling style. How light you can go will depend not only on your wallet, but on your riding style and the kinds of surfaces you have to ride on.

'Bent riding requires different muscles and different technique. On the whole it encourages spinning (a high cadence) which is felt to be a Good Thing by many upright riders too.

What 'bent suits you will depend on your height, the type of riding you mainly want to do, and how your particular body shape interfaces with the many variants of seat angle and bottom bracket height available.

Then there is the whole bike vs trike issue.

Conclusion: think about what you are going to be doing with the bent (not the kind of riding you fantasise about doing but never really do, the kind you are actually likely to do day to day). Read the 'bent forums & makers ads to get some idea of the type of machine suitable for that job. Go blag as many rides on as many variants as you can. Sooner or later you will fall in love . . .

I have only ever ridden one bent so far, because for me it was love at first sight . . . lucky me.
wub.gif

MartinG

I have both a bike and a trike - I bought the bike (Nazca Fuego) first and then the trike (ICE Adventure2) a few months later. I love the Fuego - BUT I'm a novice and therefore there is a limiting speed below which I fall over!
My younger daughter is 6 and I simply cannot go slow enough to make a family ride a pleasure. The trike has a really low bottom gear and doesn't topple over if I go too slow, so family rides are easy and there are hills I can get up on the trike that I could never manage on the Fuego - simply because I am too old, too fat and too unfit.
I use the trike for commuting - it is actually more manoeuvrable than the Fuego (!) and can cope with weather that causes brown stains on two wheels. On the other hand, the Fuego is faster and a joy for pleasure rides on my own.

I wouldn't want to be without either of them.

henshaw11

http://www.wrhpv.com/index.html

Despite the name, they appear to be in Derbyshire, greenspeed trikes only.

Other than that, there's two dealers in Scotland (Laid-back in Edinburgh, Kinetics in Glasgow)
The rest are down here in the south (eastish): Dtek (Ely, Cambs), London Recumbents (Dulwich Park), Bikefix (C London, FutureCycles (Sussex) - looks like there's a new place open in Bromley, BCR Bikes (related to Bromley Cycle Repair, Orpington, Kent).
Plus ICE over in Falmouth, who make trikes - tho' it's looks like they've got a few extra dealers in addition to some of the aforementioned: http://www.icetrikes.co/dealers/

dwain pipe

But i've allways want to have a go of an recumbent! but just dont know anyone with one?? :whistle:

Are they comfy / faster?

I bought a recumbent trike and i found it like a recliner on wheels,they go as fast as your fitness allows and their FUNNN!!!!
biggrin.gif

http://www.wrhpv.com/index.html

Despite the name, they appear to be in Derbyshire, greenspeed trikes only.

Other than that, there's two dealers in Scotland (Laid-back in Edinburgh, Kinetics in Glasgow)
The rest are down here in the south (eastish): Dtek (Ely, Cambs), London Recumbents (Dulwich Park), Bikefix (C London, FutureCycles (Sussex) - looks like there's a new place open in Bromley, BCR Bikes (related to Bromley Cycle Repair, Orpington, Kent).
Plus ICE over in Falmouth, who make trikes - tho' it's looks like they've got a few extra dealers in addition to some of the aforementioned: http://www.icetrikes.co/dealers/

Don't forget that place in Gillingham Kent, i.e me!

Cheesehound

I'd recommend D-Tek (Little Thetford, Ely) personally. Long way, but worth it.

Give Kevin a ring (may take a few calls to catch him if he's busy), and you'll be able to arrange an afternoon to try a few out.
That's what I did, and I ended up trying about a dozen bikes and trikes. A revelation.

I really can't recommend this approach too highly, as the different configurations of recumbents (particularly bikes) are REALLY different.

You'll quite likely fall in love with one, then hate the next!

Also at D-Tek you'll have loads more choice of used bikes/trikes, and the benefit of Kevin's advice and wealth of experience.

And, no, I'm not on 10 per cent.

Good luck.

Top Bottom