I need ur words of wisdom! Fs/Ht dilemma!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tinkers234, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Tinkers234

Tinkers234 Member

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at getting a mountain bike on the cycle to work scheme for a grand I quite like the boardmans and for 999 I could get a full sus team bike or a hard tail Pro?
    What would you go for? I have recently started MTB with a local club nothing extreme just a mixture of on an off road rides hills an mud! I'm hoping to do a skills course on my new bike as I would like to go to some trails once I have more confidence! Which bike do u think would suit me best?
    Thanks! :-)

2. Pauluk

Pauluk Senior Member

I'm not in to modern MTBs anymore but my son uses a FS bike for off road trails but wishes he had a hard tail. I would imagine that it would be a good thing if you could get FS with lock outs for the suspension as this would give you the best of both worlds.

I had a FS MTB and was impressed with its ground holding abilities over rough terrain and down hill, but on climbs over soft ground it was a liability.

I noticed that a lot of the MTBs used in the Olympics were hard tails with the front forks set to high pressure for steep down hill safe descents.

3. I found that I could manage the red route at Wolftrax near Aviemore on a hard-tail.
    I am pretty certain that the 2 lads on the black route were also on hard tails as well.

Full Suspension looses a lot of pedal power and therefore forward momentum, so unless you are going to be dedicated to these trails, I personally would go for the hard tail, but if you want to be really sure, repost this in the moutain bike section.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice