I never completed the 100 mile Llandudno Ride .. So I decided to at least get my first 100 done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaykun85

I was always gutted I never got the 100 miles done when you guys sorted out a Manchester to Llandudno, Sadly I met you all at Weaverham and did the 72 miles wish .. barely as I went the hilly route like a fool but got to the finish line .. So only after 2 weeks or so being back on the bike I set myself a target to get my first century done.
Probably not wise to do it on the most sunny of days, in the bitter heat and with only a couple of bananas and a camel pack to keep me hydrated. (I only used the camel pack as I knew places would be closed so I could take more water :smile: so please be kind on the How dare you use such a device :tongue: I'm sadly not that hard core :tongue:)

Im pretty pleased with my effort but the last 3 miles back home where a killer :sad:

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 19.29.13.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done.:bravo: I expect to see you joining us in the Imperial Century a Month challenge next year. :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Well done . You remember the first one . They are easier with cafe stops hopefully you can do another before the summers out and the cafes are open

OP
OP
J

Jaykun85

yea I remember he first one too well was in sight go the finish line and I had to get off the bike and just lie down I can't remember who I was riding with but im sure I must have annoyed them especially going up the hills as im not a big hill person but I seem to be getting better even on tired legs today I managed to get up a 10% hill without stopping .. granted I was on the lowest gear ... or is it the highest ?

wonderloaf

Veteran
Well done on your first imperial century but you sir are a complete nobber for trying during this pandemic and by your own admission 'Probably not wise to do it on the most sunny of days, in the bitter heat and with only a couple of bananas and a camel pack'

If you want a good flat 100 with food and moral support then you could sign up for the CNW CTC Bert Bailey Memorial Vets 100, usually runs first weekend in July (you need to be 50+ to enter) it was to be £26 entry for this year.

Start at Duddon, so not too far from you.
at 25 you get Danish pastries, tea/coffee and biscuits (Overton)
at 50 you get 3 course lunch of soup, ham and chips/pasta/rice, pudding with cream/custard/other goodness, tea/coffee
at 75 it's quiche, sandwiches, cake, tea/coffee biscuits (overton #2)
at 100 back at Duddon it's tea/coffee and biscuits.

Each group is led by a pacemaker, and at speeds theoretically between 11-14mph average, so just pick a number, but go for 12 up or you might have the oldest vets in your group and be held back slightly - although it meant as I had them in my last group I could tidy all the remaining food up knowing that no-one else was following and needing any :laugh:
Also being in the slower group meant no pressure, but most of all the presentation of certificates (and best biccies) was almost instantaneous with our arrival :whistle:

OP
OP
J

Jaykun85

If you want a good flat 100 with food and moral support then you could sign up for the CNW CTC Bert Bailey Memorial Vets 100, usually runs first weekend in July (you need to be 50+ to enter) it was to be £26 entry for this year.

at 50 you get 3 course lunch of soup, ham and chips/pasta/rice, pudding with cream/custard/other goodness, tea/coffee

Each group is led by a pacemaker, and at speeds theoretically between 11-14mph average, so just pick a number, but go for 12 up or you might have the oldest vets in your group and be held back slightly - although it meant as I had them in my last group I could tidy all the remaining food up knowing that no-one else was following and needing any :laugh:
Also being in the slower group meant no pressure, but most of all the presentation of certificates (and best biccies) was almost instantaneous with our arrival :whistle:

Awww I have another 16 years then before I can join this then :tongue:

OP
OP
J

Jaykun85

Well done on your first imperial century but you sir are a complete nobber for trying during this pandemic and by your own admission 'Probably not wise to do it on the most sunny of days, in the bitter heat and with only a couple of bananas and a camel pack'

I stuck to the rules as outlined by the legislation I was on my own and kept 2 meters apart with anyone I passed, even had a face mask for when passing people to be that extra cautious. .. I even took a break and spoke to a lovely police man who was working on the cycle path and told him what I was doing to which he only said good luck lol. plus the bananas helped and there was some lovely ice cream when I got to Rhyl :tongue:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

That sounds good. I have never ridden a 100 miles , best is 55 so far but who knows?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just checked on their website and, unsurprisingly, all events are cancelled for this year due to the corona virus. I will bear it in mind for next year though.

Top Bottom