I rather like the restored version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Spanish fresco restoration botched by amateur

The woman, in her 80s, was reportedly upset at the way the fresco had deteriorated and took it on herself to "restore" the image.

_62428391_frescopic.gif

Picasso inspired perhaps? I like it. Probably worth more now than the original.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19349921

The second one looks like 'Desperate Al' fresco :smile:
Who is the geezer in the 'before'...anyone we know?

"The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic"

Love this ^:laugh:

"Our correspondent says that to make matters worse, the local centre that works to preserve artworks had just received a donation from the painter's granddaughter which they had planned to use to restore the original fresco."

Oh the irony :wacko:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
The boyfriend just told me about this and my jaw hurts from laughing at it and I love the new version although it looks a lot like my ex-husband. I think it's the wonky eyes.

OP
OP
Y

yello

"The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic"

Love this ^:laugh:

Yep, me too!

Quite seriously, I reckon someone will buy it as is - or at least offer. I could even actually see a silly money bidding war.... as soon as the story goes around, it'll attract interest worldwide.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It has a certain naive charm to it, and probably looks as much like Christ as any other supposed likeness.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yep, me too!

Quite seriously, I reckon someone will buy it as is - or at least offer. I could even actually see a silly money bidding war.... as soon as the story goes around, it'll attract interest worldwide.

Wouldn't buying it involve buying the building attached to the wall that it's painted on?

I hope that the restoration is successful. Looking at a picture of the fresco can't be as spiritual as looking at the real thing.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Wouldn't buying it involve buying the building attached to the wall that it's painted on?

Well, they'd have to buy at least some of it, that's for real! I dunno, praps the church wants a window, or serving hatch or something.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You know what it was like though. Everyone had been saying for years it needed doing but no one ever did anything about it. If you want something doing, do it yourself.

Top Bottom