I rode with Geraint Thomas during the Tour de France but nobody believed me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This time last year while the TdF was underway, I was cycling in Italy at the Maratona Dolomiti. On the last long climb - Passo Valpairola - to my astonishment, a rider I caught had his name printed out on his number, there for all to see, Geraint Thomas.

I was mentioning this last night to some riders I know but I was accused of out and out lying, mistaken identity, a spell of delusion caused by exhaustion, all sorts but I stood my ground enjoying what I can reveal. The longer this goes on, the sweeter the reveal when I show them I was telling the absolute truth. I'm hoping someone wants to place a bet on it actually.

On that last climb, I switched on my head-cam and the rider I caught's name is as clear as is my conversation with cyclist Geraint Thomas in Italy while Geraint Thomas was riding to win the TdF at about the same time a few miles away and over the border. How could he be in two places at once? There was something any doubting Thomas was missing.

Geraint Thomas was cycling alongside a female, also with the last name Thomas and she turned out to be his wife. Of course, I wasn't the only person to engage in conversation with him that day because to happen to see someone with that name at that time was such a massive coincidence, it would have been rude not to mention it.

I like mentioning that now to see the confusion. I'm not going to upload that footage on here - too much faff - but anyone doubting the veracity of this can check on the finishers at last year's Maratona Dolomiti and check out the names. He and I did the same route and our times are not a million miles apart.

Drago

Legendary Member
Very nice. I don't doubt you at all, but with respect to yourself it's not terribly exciting. I once bodyguarded Rod Hull (yes, he of Emu fame, international terrorist target that he was) and no one cares about that either.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Very nice. I don't doubt you at all, but with respect to yourself it's not terribly exciting. I once bodyguarded Rod Hull (yes, he of Emu fame, international terrorist target that he was) and no one cares about that either.
Thats nothing.
I was once official bodyguard to emu.
My assistant was a guy called Parky or something.
@PaulB I was waiting for the video clip ??

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was on a Piccadilly line train and sat next to Jenny Agutta.^_^:heat:

Wales is known for it's shortage of names in contrast to the abundance of sheep Traditional Welsh regiments number their Jonses to avoid confusion.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I once overtook Nigel Mansel on the Silverstone circuit and hung on to cross the finishing line ahead of him.

After finding out that he had been to the Olympic Games I once asked a fellow competitor how he'd got on. His reply was " Not too bad, I won a Gold"

Top Bottom