I say, Andy in Sig...(and other Rory fans)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Get yourself, with immediate effect, Rory Gallagher's Live at Montreux DVD! ;)

I bought this some months ago but, for inexplicable reasons, have only just got around to watching it. Big mistake waiting so long.....Rory is, even by his own extraordinary standards, in absolutely blistering form on the first of this DVD set, and in the 1979 performance verges on spontaneously igniting from the friction and energy of his outrageously dynamic playing. He gets quite carried away......

I tell ya...if you want to be energised and uplifted and gripped with enthusiasm for something, put the 1979 show on and enjoy the spectacle - I did, and had to put Spem in Alium on the hi-fi to calm down! :tongue::becool:

tomb1960

Thanks for this tip Foghat, I will get on to it. Have you ever tripped over the 'Coming to my Hometown' festival, not sure if it's an annual thing but it's a tribute act festival held in Cork, one year.........

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I got it about a year ago. It's very, very good. I love the acoustic jamming stuff he does on it. FWIW I still reckon the best live DVD of him is the first Rockpalast one. It's great to see how he turns what initially seems to be a largely neutral audience (most had probably not heard of him) into a raving mob.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

tomb1960 said:
Thanks for this tip Foghat, I will get on to it. Have you ever tripped over the 'Coming to my Hometown' festival, not sure if it's an annual thing but it's a tribute act festival held in Cork, one year.........
No, have never been to any Rory tribute festivals, although I would if nearer them at the right time.

Luckily I did get to see him play live several times.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Andy in Sig said:
I got it about a year ago. It's very, very good. I love the acoustic jamming stuff he does on it. FWIW I still reckon the best live DVD of him is the first Rockpalast one. It's great to see how he turns what initially seems to be a largely neutral audience (most had probably not heard of him) into a raving mob.

Good man! Although it doesn't seem so long ago that I was persuading you to get the Rockpalast set!

Your comment about Rory's enormous capacity for motivating an audience is very true - did you ever get to witness the phenomenon yourself? Whilst the DVDs are pretty good at conveying his ability to exhilarate, actually being there and having the sounds directly pervading you was tremendous.

His mission was always to try to excite the audience with super-exuberant displays of musicianship, and he frequently played as if his life depended on it, whipping the crowd into a frenzy with his machine-gun riffing and tireless energy. No one ever worked harder at trying to please an audience. ;)

Top Bottom