I snapped a spoke today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

So I rode 7 orso mls back at 10mph :biggrin:

I seriously in all my years of riding was totally amazed by how much the wheel went 'out' by :rolleyes:

1 measily spoke and the wheel nearly 'crisped' on me..

I had to take the brake blocks out', the sway was soo bad... even rubbed th frame :rolleyes: :sad:

:rolleyes:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Good grief - that bad. Just how many spokes did you start with? 4?

Broke one of 32 in my front wheel the other day. Slight wibble wobble but I carried on with my ride and no concessions on speed or road surface.

Replaced spoke at home and trued up the wheel - now you'd never know I'd had a problem. Hope your's sorts just as easily.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very much depends upon the wheel....... I've nearly always had custom built that just don't snap spokes - i.e. DT Swiss..... but factory.. hmm.. that's what I'm running on for now on the road bike...... if it snaps and touches the frame, then it's a long walk for me then... argh.....

You could always take a spoke key, but in the introduction of the mobile phone.....

Mortiroloboy

Hmm, must be the day for spoke breaks, four miles from home one of my rear spokes went 'ping' apart from an annoying sound as the tyre rubbed the inside of the mudguard and the nipple floated about inside the rim, nothing untoward, bike still under warranty, and hasn't even been in for its 1st service yet, so taking both wheels to LBS after work tomorrow, neither of them were very true from the start, but on a £300 GIANT scr4 with
Alex DA 22 rims I 'm not too surprised:blush:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

These are my 2nd after a totally twanging one pair and got them on warranty.

So Its either another new wheel OR get this trued up..which my friend at Whiston Cycles is pretty good at though..his reaction to this should be interesting.

All I did was stop, move saddle forward (as I felt a bit 'back' in the saddle) and up, try the position out, turn round and back to pick up the briko'specs on a country lane..and twang...

Im finding it unfathomable about this bike...

1st the tyres just kept puncturing..and now the wheel/s - Like, on the day I can give the bike some welly but it aint like the bikes 'flexing' like crazy from the word go under the strain of effort....

I used to ride a steel frame all the time: is this the difference people talk of in ALU/Steel differences....:biggrin:

As I cant see the frame having a difference on wheel stiffness or durability ?????

Top Bottom