I stink after my commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

Keep your jacket on and just wear a t-shirt underneath - that's what I did this morning - the first 3/4 of miles were pretty cold, but by the time I got to work I was at perfect operating temp. I wear my jacket coz its the only bright yellow top I've got. Has it got any vent zips on the side that you could open?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Only use the rain jacket when raining. Try and get a natural base, e.g. bamboo, merino, or synthetic ones with 'silver' in the fabric make up. Top over then a cycling top. Wash tops every day, especially the base.

+ 1
Ditch the jacket. Can't see the point in wearing one unless it's pissing down. Merino sleeveless base layer and long sleeve jersey for me (into work). Short sleeve jersey on the way back.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
But you still need to protect your chest from the windchill so get a gilet. That's what I wear from now until mid-October.

A gilet is a very good idea. You could also wear arm warmers for the start of the ride, before you've warmed up, then roll them down when you've got going.

For the last few weeks on my morning commute, when it's been very chilly first thing, I've been wearing a merino jersey with one of these over it:
http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-smock/40
Much lighter than an Altura Nevis but just as windproof, and packs up tiny, so you can wear it at the start of your ride then pull it off and stuff it in your back pocket once you've warmed up.

d.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I only wear my windproof when its raining /cold as i find they jsut boil in the bag, i have an altura jacket and its the same effect as yours.
This time of year unless its cold (given out a frost tomorrow morning ) i ditch the jacket ,i have a gilet + armwarmers that offer enough warmth whilst keeping fresh air to the pits.
In winter i prefer to go for a vest base layer+ss jersey +armwarmers for similar reasons with the windproof on top when it gets sub zero.
If your worried about visibility then if your uncool like me you can look at something like a sam brown belt .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats the issue - the weather changes fast.

Mornings it's a buff round the neck and long finger gloves. This afternoon will be no buff, and mitts. Just a big temp difference at the moment being early in the year.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thats the issue - the weather changes fast.

Mornings it's a buff round the neck and long finger gloves. This afternoon will be no buff, and mitts. Just a big temp difference at the moment being early in the year.
I am still wearing my Jacket and longs in the morning, and packing them all in the rucksack in the afternoon. Bit of a pain but enjoyable both directions at the moment.

MisterStan

Label Required
I am still wearing my Jacket and longs in the morning, and packing them all in the rucksack in the afternoon. Bit of a pain but enjoyable both directions at the moment.

+1

Top Bottom