I stink after my commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
I cycle 15 miles to get on the bus and I end up stinky and sweaty by the time I get to the station. I have been wearing a base layer, Altura wicking jersey and a cheap hi-viz jacket from Sports Direct.

I'm wondering if the jacket is the problem, with it not being breathable? I have an Altura Nevis on order.

I might start carrying a spare jersey to change in to at the station, but other than that, how do you keep the body odour to minimum?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?232kzd

jim55

Guru
if it sports direct its prob that ,boil in the bag syndrome ? i wear a windproof hi viz (not waterproof )and i still get a bit sweaty ,other than not wearing a jacket at all or going a bit slower theres not a lot u can do i imagine

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would ditch the jacket unless it's actually raining. Very few waterproofs can get the sweat out fast enough to stop you getting soaked.

If anything try and aim to be a little cold as you set off, and then you will warm up to a sensible temperature during the first few minutes cycling. Also try backing off on the ride a bit. It may take 5 minutes longer, but it's amazing how much less effort you need to put in to go just a small amount slower.

Paul J

You can get a build up of odour in your exercise clothes that normal washing doesn't remove. Try turning the garments inside out and pouring liquid detergent on the usual areas (armpits) on a top. Then wash just these clothes and make sure they get an extra rinse.

levad

Veteran
I would ditch the jacket, I only wear a jacket in the depths of winter when my sweat would freeze anyway.

Layers of merino wool has helped me to stink a lot less.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
+1 on the jacket. They're RUBBISH. I had one. Took it back to sports direct and got a refund on the basis it wasn't fit for purpose (I shouted a lot).

Bought a night vision and never had the issue again.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most jackets will get you sweaty. Get rid for all but the coldest days.

But you still need to protect your chest from the windchill so get a gilet. That's what I wear from now until mid-October.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only use the rain jacket when raining. Try and get a natural base, e.g. bamboo, merino, or synthetic ones with 'silver' in the fabric make up. Top over then a cycling top. Wash tops every day, especially the base.

thefollen

Veteran
Unless it's raining I don't think you need more than a technical t-shirt and cycling shorts in this weather.

Cycled the Woking Evans RideIt Sportive yesterday (the 60mile route) in just that and had no problems. Was quite cold at the beginning (8:30am start) and wondered why I'd chosen to sack off the gloves, but soon warmed up and felt smug as I passed people who were properly layered up and probably perspiring.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I wear a range of base and mid base layers (depending on the weather) and would echo Mcshroom and fossy. start the ride cold (and wash everything regularly.

I use an endura jacket that allows the sleeves to zip of and become a gillet, I love it as it keeps my "trunk" warm but allows me to cool down via my arms.

Failluig that. as Jim says...perjaps just take your time and slow down.

question...are you prone to perspiration and related stinky-ness when exercising, or does this only occur on the bike. If its only on the bike then clothing has got to be the issue.

Top Bottom