I suppose you think.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Your a police officer.
I had a guy today, in an oldish Ford Modeo, with blue lights all at the front. It has little blue LED's pointing to the front on the bonnet, and a light in the grill that was blue and flashed. I looked behind, saw the car and realised by the blue LED's it wasnt a police car so carried on going. There was a point for him to pass and being a bit worried about the guy i moved in and slowed down and thanked him for waiting. He just slowed down aswell. I sped up and carried on going and then went into the stupid cycle lane thats in the road right in where people open the doors. He came past looked at me and smiled at me.
I think he thought he was an actual police officer, and that had done good.
Strange thing was that he drove past some of those community police officers and they didnt do anything.
It was a tad spooky because i thought the guy was going to make me pull over.
Ever seen a car done up like this? Should i have taken the number plate and reported it?

graham56

Guru
Yep it`s against the law for any vehicle apart for Emergency Services to display blue lights

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I'll be looking out for him next time then. His car isnt hard to miss even when he hasnt got the blue lights on. Big wheels, flames down the side and a spolier. Just what ever other police car has on it. :smile:

Noodley

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-
(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(:smile: a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

(edit - not sure if crappy little blue lights would be deemed as resembling a blue warning beacon)

OP
OP
J

Joe24

He has two square ones on the front on the top of his front grill.
I think the crappy blue lights that just stay on are illegal because it is illegal to show any other lights to the front except white or orange when indercating, or that could be classed as to the side.

Noodley

Joe24 said:
He has two square ones on the front on the top of his front grill.
I think the crappy blue lights that just stay on are illegal because it is illegal to show any other lights to the front except white or orange when indercating, or that could be classed as to the side.

The Regs state:

"11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front..." then lists some exceptions, but no mention of "except white or orange, etc"

However, as these "crappy blue lights" (I quite like this phrase) were flashing lights he may be contravening Reg. 13 which states:

"no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light." So, I'd imagine it would depend whether the flashing is "automatic".

Noodley said:
16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-
(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(:blush: a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

So there goes my Kojak impersonation, then!

Mind you, my VW Caravelle used to be a Fire Brigade vehicle. It even used to have a siren and a flashing blue light. :smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Try not to blame yourself.

Top Bottom