I think I did a bad thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

My middle child is fifteen and appropriately independent for his age.

He was planning to ride into a local small city at 0900 on Sunday and then ride back later in the day. It's a ride of 15 miles one-way that he's done many times. The road is a slightly hilly, sinuous single carriageway NSL road that cars often travel along at 70-80 mph.

On Sunday morning it was cold, wet and slippery. Horrid, really.

I tossed him the garage keys to get his bike out and sort it out... then I bumbled off to dig out some full-finger gloves and a headband thingy...

Then (to my shame) I said "It's absolutely 'taters outside, the sun is low and the roads will be slippery. Is this a good idea?"

He thought better of the ride. The protective-father part of my brain thought I'd done a sterling job. He often ignores my advice.

The Elbows-Out Tashkent Psychopath part of my brain felt utterly rotten for suggesting he gave it a miss.

This is a boy who's been riding (accompanied) the 70 miles to see his grandmother in the Valleys since he was ten. He does know what he's doing, he can handle a bicycle and he's no stranger to artics whipping past him a little too intimately on fastish descents.

We raked the last leaves, lit a bonfire and cleared gravel paths instead that morning - and I felt a bit naughty for discouraging him.

It irks me that he might have attached some (in truth absent) wisdom to my words and thereby given them a gravitas they lacked.

Have all parents done something like this, or was I crushing the spirit of adventure in those I love?

Mozzy

You were just doing what any decent parent would do. Fair play to you, but more importantly perhaps fair play to the lad; clearly been introduced to life in an exceptionally good way. Respect I say.

G-Zero

Über Member
IMO You did absolutely the right thing.

You didn't prevent him from going, just made the suggestion to him pointing out a couple of dangers that he may not have considered.

Sounds like he made his own mind up after that..... Sensible lad :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling may not be a dangerous sport but in mountaineering, climbing, caving and anything else I've done that's considered dangerous, it's a truism that you only meet the cautious ones because the silly ones are long dead.

Having the humility to call it a day is a mark of experience.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Cycling may not be a dangerous sport but in mountaineering, climbing, caving and anything else I've done that's considered dangerous, it's a truism that you only meet the cautious ones because the silly ones are long dead.

And he got someone to help him with the garden chores. Bonus.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

There are old pilots,
and there are bold pilots,
but there are no, old, bold, pilots!

400bhp

Guru
"It's absolutely 'taters outside, the sun is low and the roads will be slippery. Is this a good idea?"

^^^Good parenting. You let him make the decision. That's how it should be done. Telling them not to do something doesn't generally work. :thumbsup:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Whenever I go out on my usual ride of 16 miles, I always say goodbye to my parents (because you dont know what will happen) and 9 times out of 10 my mum will say "Your going out in this weather? Its freezing". I reply "Well it isnt that bad".
Everyone in my house thinks I am a numpty for going out in terrible weather but recently even I have accepted that it has been too windy and wet to go out.

Top Bottom