I think...I think...I think... I might be ready...possibly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For clipless pedals that is (can't believe I'm saying it, might just be temporary madness..)

I do have a pair of Nike Kato spd shoes flying about, so I suppose I just need pedals and cleats... Do the cleats come with the pedals? Am I better of going for the ones that have one normal and one clip in side? What do people recommend? Is this a wise idea in the first place???

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
very wise idea. Going clipless for me was a revelation.
It really is a case of once you do go clipless you wonder how you did without before.

I started off with the Shimano A520's, which are flat one side, cleat the other. Then changed to the m520'S as I found myself riding with cleats all the time. Now feels strange when I use a bike with normal pedals.

And yes most pedals and shoes come with a pair of cleats.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
I like the idea of having to sides and a cage...however, the wiggle site has thrown up some more questions about the cleats..Some seem to only release by twisting in a certain way, whereas others release in any direction...Am I correct in assuming the "any direction" ones would be best for a beginner?

Maz

Guru
Like ianrauk, I used to have a pair of shimano 'one side flat/one side clip' pedals (M520?). I very rarely used the flat side as I found using the clipped side so much more efficient. I later changed the pedals to 'clip-in both sides' types.

I typed a cinsidered reply but then pressed esc instead of enter.

I started with M324 as I like the choice of cleats or 'business' shoes or trainers. Many journeys are too short to warrant changing in to cycling shoes.

I have A520 on another bike; not really double sided as the spindle can be clearly felt through my shoe soles. The A530 is desinged as dual sided.

I have multi release spd cleats and all shoes as they suit my slighly reduced ankle movement.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=10570
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=12196
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=14726
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=10612

Does it really make much difference ? You are going to fall off at some time whatever you use.

I managed 12 months before my first "moment of inattention" but then chose a large bank of stingies an my target.

Take the plunge and don't give up - they do make a difference IMO.

Jo25

I very recently went clipless and have found it a relatively easy process, with only one clipless moment so far! (sure there will be more!). I went for the pedals with clips one side and flat the other and I like the comfort of knowing I can be clipless if I want to - though to be honest not used the flat sides much. I got these cheaper versions

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...ontact+duo&bGOkeyword=Search&f_SortOrderID=-1

and they seem alright to me (though I am a newbie and don't know much about bikes). Haven't seen a great improvement in speed etc but only used them a few times so sure it will get there. Just got to get used to pulling up as well as pushing down.

Bigtallfatbloke

go for it..I've only fallen off twice

A good decision to make; like the others say, you'll wonder how/why you managed without them before.

If you're a bit apprehensive, try using your shoes with SPDs on an indoor spinning bike.

It won't re-create the 'real situations' of being outside in traffic, but it'll give you confidence in clipping in/out.

my son started riding in January, we went over to merlin 15 miles away, he went in trainers with spd pedals on the bike.we got some shoes and rode out to lostock hall and the cycle paths to Preston. i set up the cleats and he got some practice clipping in and out and making slight adjustments to the cleats on the cyclepaths to Preston. by the time we were heading home he was happy with the set up and clipping in and out.
find somewhere away from traffic to practice it's a lot easier..

DLB

i'm in the same boat. I've just ordered some m520s which are clipless both sides but do not hav a cage. Looking forward to trying them when they arrive.

FWIW i've had a clipless moment with clips. I was travelling along the transpennine trail near home and slowly rode the bike into a gate to push it open. I released my left foot from the toeclips just in case but my bike decided to fall, but the bike decided to fall to the right :biggrin:. I was actually surprised how little it hurt (my body) but how much it hurt (my pride) :biggrin:.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dont start facing up a hill, it will never work. I learnt this the hard way, but luckily never fell off at the start, untill i was very cocky.
I then fell off when i unclipped left and fell to the right.
Go for it, it can only be good!

yenrod

punkypossum said:
For clipless pedals that is (can't believe I'm saying it, might just be temporary madness..)

I do have a pair of Nike Kato spd shoes flying about, so I suppose I just need pedals and cleats... Do the cleats come with the pedals? Am I better of going for the ones that have one normal and one clip in side? What do people recommend? Is this a wise idea in the first place???

I rode past some kids (on BMX's) today and felt a right serious job !

Top Bottom