I think my PC has died... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My PC won't boot up :sad:

There's power going to the box & CPU fans, and the CD/DVD drive, but other than that... nothing. Can't even boot into BIOS or access it with my Ubuntu boot disk (main OS is XP). It had the same problem a week or two ago after the hot weather, but it did eventually boot up after about 6 hours. I figured it just needed to cool down but it's hardly been hot in the last few days so i can't blame the weather. I've had the side off, disconnected and reconnected everything, it's dust free, tried disconnecting video & graphics cards but still won't boot up. The greeen HD light doesn't come on at all, but the HD does make noises for a couple of seconds after turning it on. There's no beeps from the mother board but there does appear to be power going through it. I've no idea what to do... boo hoo hoo.

surfdude

Veteran
kick it

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

unfortunately i have no job and no money, a gas bill, an electricity bill and over due rent... couldn;t have happened at a worse time :sad: my short term hope is that it just decides to work again as it did the other week... long term hope is some fecker offering me a job.

up hill struggle

I assume there is something being displayed on the monitor, just incase the cable linking monitor to pc has a fault.

I had a fault bit like yours about 4 years ago and after spending hours trying to find what was wrong with pc I found wife had turned monitor off at power switch instead of just turning pc off & letting monitor go to stand by like I normally do.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I assume there is something being displayed on the monitor, just incase the cable linking monitor to pc has a fault.

I had a fault bit like yours about 4 years ago and after spending hours trying to find what was wrong with pc I found wife had turned monitor off at power switch instead of just turning pc off & letting monitor go to stand by like I normally do.
nothing on the monitor... that's in standy mode, but definitely switched on. It's defo a PC problem as the green hard drive light isn't coming on at all.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Aw shucks. Do you have Freegle http://www.ilovefreegle.org/ in your part of the world? Worth an ask on there for bits and pieces/new 'puter. Presumably using a different machine...........
good thinking 26x25... i have a painfully slow, pitifully old lap top as a back up machine with a wireless connection that drops out every few mins... it's better than nowt but only good for internet access.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
good thinking 26x25... i have a painfully slow, pitifully old lap top as a back up machine with a wireless connection that drops out every few mins... it's better than nowt but only good for internet access.
Tell me about it. I'm currently on an old laptop which is steam powered I think. I'm at my elderly mother's and the neighbours through the wall took pity and allowed me on their WiFi. That's why I've been absent for so long.........

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Personally I would start changing the bits my phone tinside one at a time starting with the PSU.

These little rascals do a job well enough http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450w-Powe...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item53f4a6079a
It was the power supply that went last time on ours, but it was the last thing my OH and his teenage helper tried swapping!

It's my phone that's currently going wrong and refuses to connect to the internet, but will phone and text people but it won't be rushed at that either!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Several possible causes but one you can do yourself. Memory might have developed a fault.

1. Try re-seating what is there.

if no effect then:

2. If more than one stick, try each stick singly in turn in the slot for running just one stick - usually dimm0. if one is up the creek, you will lose some performance without it but at least it will boot up. if you have four sticks and one is faulty, you may have to use just two of the good ones and check the motherboard manual for the right slots. There's a lot of variance from board to board but running on either one stick or matched pairs can be possible.

Top Bottom