I think my VR training helped today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of you may remember a few weeks bak I was planning to try and ride the Tourmalet . on my 70th birthday by doing it while I still had the legs to give it a go.
Well, today I gave it a go... and made it. I think all the BigRingVR and VeloReality turbo riding helped a lot and got me use to the sustained effort required.

So, we drove down to Bareges from near Cahors yesterday and we are staying at Les Sorbiers http://www.lessorbiers.co.uk/cycling.html in Bareges (about a third of the way up from Luz Saint Sauveur).

A lot of mist and cloud about first thing this morning so we drove down to Luz Saint Sauveur as visibility was so poor. I set off with a lovely lady called Katie who rode with me the whole way. We took the western route and took the original old route (called the Fignon route). The sun had broken through by the time we came up through Bareges and it was stunning. A wonderful experience and I achieved my target of getting up there in under 2 hours (just). The descent was amazing, good road surface, little traffic and a grin from ear to ear.

Here's a little proof https://www.strava.com/activities/1039167449

I know this is nothing special and there are loads and loads of better riders who are significantly better than me but I just wanted to share my joy... i feel on a real high.

Chapeaux 2 hours sounds bloody good to me and thats without giving a thought to you being 70 years young!

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Thanks for the nice comments. Much appreciated. I wasn't sure how today would work out and I was a bit apprehensive before I set out this morning.
I just tried to pace myself sensibly. The last bit to the top kicks up quite a bit and didn't want the walk of shame on that but as it turned out I felt quite strong really so I guess I could have taken the risk and pushed a bit harder but I never wanted to risk dying a death and not making it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats a supurb effort, well done.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
@MasterDabber the ride to Gavernie and then up to the Col des Tentes is also very nice. I did that one a few years ago (from Argeles-Gazost), enjoyable all the way!

Thanks again for nice comments... it's much appreciated. I never got to ride Gavernie today, the Route du Sud were heading there today.
Instead I did Luz Ardiden. A great ride, lovely weather today, marvelous views from the top where you can see all the zigzags you've been climbing up.
Then back into Luz Saint Sauveur before road closure for the Route du Sud and a nice lunch, then saw the race as it came through Luz Saint Sauveur... a pretty perfect day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1040747292

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Tourmalet1.jpg
LuzArdiden1.jpg
Thanks a lot @TurboTommy and @Jerry Atrik .

I'm back in the Department of the Lot now but can't wait to get back to the Pyrenees and have a go at some of the other climbs. A fabulous area.

A couple of photos... Top of the Tourmalet and top of Luz Ardiden.

Last edited:
Top Bottom