I thought I was moderately fit...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done the same thing as you today. I reversed a 14 mile route that I first did on Friday. Felt like I was dying all the way round, and arrived home in almost exactly the same time. I thought I'd taken about 15-20 minutes longer. How does that work then, eh? :headshake:
it has something to do with the fact you have climbed the height both ways, steeper climbs may seem to take longer but if they climb the same height they will be shorter, and your avg on the downhill bits will be greater for longer than the short steep downhill bit.
So if you have over a given route some short steep hills, you will have longer gradual downhill sections were your avg will be above the norm, compensating for the steep sections. if you go the other way, whilst the gradual hills might seem easier they will slow your avg a little.

mrbadexample

That seems to make sense. After all, if I start at home and finish at home, then it stands to reason that I've done the same amount of ascending as descending. Otherwise I'd end up above or below my house. :crazy:

Devonshiredave

+1

I could mirror this, first ride June 23 8 miles @ 9.3 mph, this last 8 days I have done 2x60Km rides 2x50km, a 40km 2x30+Km and a 20km (that was to test the new GPS thing) most I have done in a day was 85Km though that was three different rides really, a couple of commutes and a 50Km ride.
xx( I wish I could get out more! My riding is confined to weekends at the moment as I still don't have a front light worth a fig. I promised myself one this month, but as always, there's too much month left at the end of the money! I pray for reasonable weather each weekend just to get my fix.

xx( I wish I could get out more! My riding is confined to weekends at the moment as I still don't have a front light worth a fig. I promised myself one this month, but as always, there's too much month left at the end of the money! I pray for reasonable weather each weekend just to get my fix.
I dont know if you read this Dave http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lights-cree-xml-xm-l-t6.117285/, it a good light very bright, at £27 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181007055...sid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=413630783313

Devonshiredave

I did Nigel. Looks pretty decent too. I may have to abandon my predjudice of cables and battery packs and bite the bullet so to speak. I have had quite an expensive month so far, new saddle and shoes so the light will have to wait or Mrs DD might be tempted to cut up my cards! :sad:

Hicky

Guru
How long before improvements kick in? How long before I feel like a proper cyclist rather than a pretender?

I'm not giving up cos I actually enjoy it (despite the pain), I'm just feeling a bit deflated that I can't manage 4 miles with pain.

Don't give up the pain will fade(no it won't you'll just ride harder!).
Improvements depend on the frequency and intensity you ride.......proper cyclists are people who use a bike for fun/transport.....delete as needed, enjoy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll Give you 3 months commuting to work on a MTB with or without slicks and you will joining the crazy gang and hanker after a road bike ;-)

It just happens doesn't it?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
How long before improvements kick in? How long before I feel like a proper cyclist rather than a pretender?

I'm not giving up cos I actually enjoy it (despite the pain), I'm just feeling a bit deflated that I can't manage 4 miles with pain.

Felt sick as a dog when I'd finished mind which shows how out of shape I am!!

Your second 'update' post answers your initial sentiment from the first post; a sentiment which, incidently, I personaly feel is inverted and is an all too common feeling from guys just starting out.

That 'Sick as a dog' feeling is your badge. You are a 'proper' cyclist from the first instant you swing your leg over the saddle and buy into that urge to peddle that bit harder. You become a 'pretender' when you stop the 'harder' part.

Bare witness to Sir Bradley of the Muttons. I haven't watched the actual thing but on the advert for his latest documentary theres a bit where he is talking about being at altitude, the lungs being on fire and fighting the urge to give up.

That right there is the naked essence of it all from one of the best in the world.

If you get into actual comparisons, Im sure Mr Wiggo would look at my 'meagre' achievements of a fairly regular diet of 50 milers beefed up with the very occassional century with a mild disdain. His frame of reference compared to mine is completely different. Do I consider myself a non-cyclist because I cant pull 250k in under 6 hours? Do I heck.

Cycling, to me, is all about the challange and the improvment. Whether its distance, speed, frequency of rides, whatever, its the raw desire to turn the cranks which makes you a cyclist. Where you are on the path is completely irrelevant.

Im not saying you need to feel sick as a dog every time you finish a ride, or that you need to set your lungs on fire or destroy your legs for every second you are in the saddle; I'm guessing you're not realistically setting your sights on a Tour De France victory or going Pro.
Its when you 'give up' the hunt; you lose that hunger and desire and become satisfied with what you can do and seek no more, you ride the exact same route the same number of times each day, each week, each month, and are happy with the same time every time so that cycling has now become a simple motion. Thats when you become the pretender.

Just my opinion like.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Or, to put it another way.

There is a cyclist who lives down on Bee Street.

Bill and Bob are neighbours.

Bill has been cycling his whole life. He cycles daily 20 miles to work and 20 miles home again. He has got the route down so exact that at a constant 18mph his wife can time when to put dinner on the table and Bill can get in to laugh at the clueless contestants on Pointless. He has a nice shiny road bike which is only a year old and a good selection of lycra to match his trim physique so he doesnt get too sweaty in his work clothes.

Bob is - not to put too finer point on it - overwieght. He has seldom exercised in his 40+ years and has never shown much of an interest before. He has been prompted to lose some weight and has decided that cycling to the shops is a way to do it. He's been doing it for a week, is still a nervous wreck, feels self consious and spends half the time in the saddle questioning why he is bothering. His does however want to get to the point where he can make it up the hill to the shops without getting off his bike to push.

Bill is a commuter. Bob is the cyclist.

D

Deleted member 20519

Or, to put it another way.

There is a cyclist who lives down on Bee Street.

Bill and Bob are neighbours.

Bill has been cycling his whole life. He cycles daily 20 miles to work and 20 miles home again. He has got the route down so exact that at a constant 18mph his wife can time when to put dinner on the table and Bill can get in to laugh at the clueless contestants on Pointless. He has a nice shiny road bike which is only a year old and a good selection of lycra to match his trim physique so he doesnt get too sweaty in his work clothes.

Bob is - not to put too finer point on it - overwieght. He has seldom exercised in his 40+ years and has never shown much of an interest before. He has been prompted to lose some weight and has decided that cycling to the shops is a way to do it. He's been doing it for a week, is still a nervous wreck, feels self consious and spends half the time in the saddle questioning why he is bothering. His does however want to get to the point where he can make it up the hill to the shops without getting off his bike to push.

Bill is a commuter. Bob is the cyclist.

A cyclist is someone who rides a bike - Bob and Bill ride bikes - they're both cyclists. It doesn't matter if you're a fair weather cyclist, a commuter or if you've won the Tour de France, you're still a cyclist if you ride a bike.

stephen.rooke

gotta start somewhere, biggest mistake people make is putting the bike in a really high gear and putting lot of force through the pedals. drop down the gears and pedal faster, makes things a lot easier. you soon build your fitness up. lots of us here started struggling doing a few miles. started riding in march, found 7 mile ride hard and i did a 100 mile ride in september. i can now go out and do 50 mile rides easily enough but its never easy peazy. did one today and found it tough because 27 miles of it was into a headwind

also when i started i did my 7 mile commute at an average of 12 mph, i can now do it at around 20/21 and do an 18mph average doing the uphill return journey

Top Bottom