I thought of Cab this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
.. and his tales of Cambridge...

Waiting at a crossing at a junction (Low Petergate/Bootham/St Leonards Place/Gillygate for Yorkies), I watched the traffic to my right set off and rejoiced at the sight of it being headed by 11 cyclists. Seconds later I was shaken out of my reverie by the squeal of bike brakes to my left, as one of the mass pulled into the kerb to dismount and almost collided with/was hit by another who'd been about to pass her on the left...

No harm done, and I'd say blame was probably shared between the one undertaking and the one who pulled in quite suddenly to stop. Still, it is sort of nice that there are enough cyclists for this to happen...

Cab

I think that its almost inevitable if you have a big gaggle of cyclists, some with limited experience. I often find myself in what looks like a scrum of eight, ten or even more cyclists all going along a road, and all it takes to make it go wrong is one person who thinks that the right way to progress is to try to weave in and out to get to the front by any means, or one person who thinks that the way to get to the kerb is to cut straight through the crowd, or even one person to unexpectedly turn right from secondary position (or worse) and the situation can become really dangerous.

Of course, you could argue that avoiding cycling like that is better. And I do, but you just can't prevent it. If I see such a scrummage from behind I might try another route, or I might try to pick up speed and go right around the outside in one go. Or I might end up stuck behind a lorry and all the other cyclists creep up... Or more annoying than that I might be first to the traffic lights and then another dozen cyclists surround me, positioning themselves in front of and behind the white line.

Nice to know that you see that many cyclists elsewhere too ;)

I very, very occasionally pass another cyclist (none pass me of course!!;)). I do see the odd cyclist each day, but they usually don't go my way. It seems that we have a lot of catching up to do in Glasgow...xx(

This may improve next week very expensive parking charges are being introduced at my hospital next week. £7 for a days parking. Only certain staff are getting permits. I expect a lot of new cyclists soon......

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
I think that its almost inevitable if you have a big gaggle of cyclists, some with limited experience. I often find myself in what looks like a scrum of eight, ten or even more cyclists all going along a road, and all it takes to make it go wrong is one person who thinks that the right way to progress is to try to weave in and out to get to the front by any means, or one person who thinks that the way to get to the kerb is to cut straight through the crowd, or even one person to unexpectedly turn right from secondary position (or worse)

Or one inexperienced cyclist to have heard of this strange concept of 'drafting' and deciding to give it a go..........xx(;)

Cab

gambatte said:
Or one inexperienced cyclist to have heard of this strange concept of 'drafting' and deciding to give it a go..........xx(;)

:smile:

Indeed. Although there ain't much draft that kind of cycle traffic.

Top Bottom