I tried to loose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
potsy said:
Similar to my story that,nigel.1 year since i started cycling and i'm 10kg lighter and quite a bit fitter.Used to be really hungry after a ride,now I'm just eating normally each day and the weight is coming off nicely.
Like you I still have plenty to lose(maybe 15kg) but that's not going to happen quickly.

I'll add a "me too" to that. Almost the same. Cycling for just about a year, although I haven't lost quite as much as 10kg (maybe 8).

I'm very adamant that I'm not on a diet. I still eat what I want (including the odd curry, fish'n'chips etc), I just take more noticed of what I eat, and cut out some (but not all) of the rubbish. It's about life style, so it has to be something you enjoy/can live with.

I'm happy with a loss of about 8kg in a year, although I thought I'd loose it much quicker. The point is that I feel it's sustainable. Ideally I'd like to loose another 8kg, but if I don't it's not the end of the world.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I'm glad someone mentioned water retention. I was ready to throw my box of energy bars out of the nearest window.

I weighed myself Sat. I hadn't been very well and I was probably de-hydrated from sweating due to a high tempterature.

Although I have (almost) resisted eating after the rides I certainly haven't resisted during them. Started trying energy bars for the first time, fish and chips, bacon sandwiches, ice cream. You name it, everything bad for you. I figured they were long rides and I needed something to keep my legs ticking over.

Sun 200
Mon 120
Tues 70
wed 30 - Killed my knees; but that another post.

tyred

Legendary Member
Your weight can vary by as much as 10lb from day to day due to the aforementioned fluid retention and various other things.

I've found power walking more effective for losing weight than cycling tbh.

ASC1951

Guru
Once you are out of your early 20s it is almost impossible to keep weight off just by increasing exercise. The key is reducing food intake. Better food, i.e. less energy dense or processed food, and less of it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When i was at school, many years ago we were taught that a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter. So maybe, if you are dehydrated after a ride, and you drink several pints a fluid over a period, your body won't get rid of the fluid(water) as it needs it, so your weight will fluctuate wildly over the period of time?

adds21

Rider of bikes
Paulus said:
When i was at school, many years ago we were taught that a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter. So maybe, if you are dehydrated after a ride, and you drink several pints a fluid over a period, your body won't get rid of the fluid(water) as it needs it, so your weight will fluctuate wildly over the period of time?

Yup, I find that. Also of course 1 litre of water weighs 1kg (at 4 degrees C).

jimboalee

scalp.jpg

Weight loss?

5 minute job.

tyred

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
Once you are out of your early 20s it is almost impossible to keep weight off just by increasing exercise. The key is reducing food intake. Better food, i.e. less energy dense or processed food, and less of it.

Thanks for ruining my day ;)

Chrisc

Guru
tyred said:
Thanks for ruining my day ;)
Don't despair! I eat the same as I did prior to starting cycling, healthy diet of pies, beer, whisky, cakes. I ride 80-100 miles a week, am 10kg lighter than I was last summer, and four inches narrower in the waist. Difference being that I always feel peckish and that I could shovel more in, however, I resist and it seems to work. I'm 47.

Philk

At my LBS yesterday i was talking to a couple of experienced road racers, and explained that i have the same issue of putting weight on.
a couple of things came to light in the conversation:
1 - Due to my lifestyle/work im normally dehydrated so now that i am cycling, im also drinking more, ie re hydrating, hence bringing my weight up to its naturally hydrated weight.
2 - my cadence is too low, as im choosing the lower gears, so in essence weight training, and putting on muscle.

so im going to try a slightly different approach and go for more weekly rides and up my cadence.

Jmetz

the OP discusses wanting to lose weight not get up hills however... but if someone wishes to lose weight then slimmers world or such like is the way to go, not sport, as obviously with cycling and any other physical activity weight loss in regards to fat is achieved, but weight gain occurs due to muscle growth... highlighting the fact that scales should be thrown in the trash

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cyclist often want to lose weight, for the associated benefits, highest power per unit of body weight, watt per kg. You won't keep gaining muscle mass forever, maybe some initially but in the long term changes are you will either reach optimum fat:muscle mass ratio and reach a steady state body weight. Or lose some weight. Scales are handy, it you want to look good then maybe scales aren't the best measure but if you want to lose weight, what better than an instrument made for measuring your body weight.

Since I started cycling I've lost a stone and a half. While gaining noticeable mass in my calfs and thighs. I don't diet as such at all really.

To red bike, don't worry about it. Start counting from now onwards and way yourself same time once a week. Have a one and two in the morning and weight yourself naked and go from there. Not to be crude or disgusting but after a bathroom moment I can be up to 3 pounds lighter. So its important to weight yourself empty as such.

Top Bottom