I unwittingly entered a hill climb race on the commute and won.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a bit of fun on the commute home yesterday with total strangers.

There were two kids on bicycles at the bottom of a long steep hill, as I approached they were getting excitable. One shouted something (in a sarcastic tone) along the lines of "Nice bike, can you ride with us", I responded, "Bet you can't keep up." They accepted the challenge. And we raced to the top. I won. Good times were had and I took home the glory of 1st place (well, if you can call beating 13 year olds on BSOs, glory). Had I been in a car, I perhaps might have missed out on the wonderful interaction with total strangers. Oh the joys of riding a bicycle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Winning is the only option!

MikeG

Guru
Tomorrow, when they're waiting for you at the foot of the same hill, have a surreptitious squeeze of their tyres. I'll bet they've got about 30psi in them at most. How much did you win by?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I do that in my head, every day I commute, with racing snakes on the way up the hill to Crystal Palace.

Every day, I demolish them on the lower slopes

Every day, they demolish me in the final 200m, as their consistently maintained cadence overhauls my fat old bike, my fat old panniers and my fat old body.

The day I get smashed up that hill by a 12-y-o wheelie-ing up on a BSO with fat tyres is the day I buy an ebike to re-establish superiority.

Perhaps next week, then :laugh:

nickr

Über Member
There is always a race to be had across Richmond Park on my way home. I pick my competitors with care, there are some extremely fit guys, riding extremely expensive bikes, extremely fast. However, I do occasionally race and occasionally win, always great fun.

arch684

Veteran
I would have let them win until they bet me there pocket money.Problem is I'm not sure i would win

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Sounds like I've still got a bit of youth on my side then, turning 30 in a matter of weeks though, I expect my fitness to plummet almost immediately after. I've noticed the grey hairs on my head too... determined not to get bitter about it ;)

MikeG

Guru
..........20 second lead or so, they did put in some effort too. :laugh:

I trust you obeyed the rules and didn't appear to put in any effort at all. One hand on the handle bars, the other scratching your back....that always creates a good impression, as does whistling a tune. Maximum points for doing both at the same time. And at the top, you pull over, and engage in a relaxed 'phone call whilst you await your rivals arrival......

Top Bottom