I used to think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Back in the days when I did time trials, I used to think road cyclists were mad. Those sprint finishes and the crashes that often were part of that.

Then I saw some track racing and changed my mind. Those guys (and ladies) are tough!

Then I saw this...

Those guys are BONKERS!

rikki

Legendary Member
Looks like fun.
Can I start at the back and go very slowly?

Jody

Stubborn git
There are some crazy MTB events these days. You only have to look at Redbull Rampage, Hardline, Crankworx, Loosefest to see these are getting more extreme by the year. Great to watch but such a massive risk for the competitors.

This gives you a better idea of the carnage at the start. First crash at 43 seconds and slow mo replay at 2.55

View: https://youtu.be/BlcAFVO_Kyo

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Once you start going for 'air' it's time to book an advanced ticket to A&E. So much can, and does go wrong, even at a pump track.:wacko:

fossyant

Scary, when you think this is available for us rank amateurs to try in the UK.

fossyant

Always worth checking what you are riding at any Trail Centre. You do have to think 'this is designed to be ridden' unlike natural routes.

This catches folk out alot... you can't see the 45 degree ramp at the end as you are 20 ft in the air. You can't exactly stop either. Many a 'walk of shame'.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I think the later parts going through the trees were more terrifying than the snow section. I wasn't keen on the rocky parts either. Imagine falling at speed on those sharp rocks! *shudder*

I thought the girls were quick, but then watched the men - 40 minutes! would probably take me 4 hours plus underwear changing time.
I watched a video of the men's 2019 winner of Megavalanche. He gets away near the very front as opposed to the guy in the video above so doesn't have to battle through 960 or so other riders.... but, around 8/9 minutes faster and on the bottom twisties he is making it even more technical by missing out some of the berms and going straight down... totally in another league of craziness and ability from mere mortals.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I watched a video of the men's 2019 winner of Megavalanche. He gets away near the very front as opposed to the guy in the video above so doesn't have to battle through 960 or so other riders.... but, around 8/9 minutes faster and on the bottom twisties he is making it even more technical by missing out some of the berms and going straight down... totally in another league of craziness and ability from mere mortals.
I saw that one. I've watched quite a few but I picked the one above more for the entertainment value. The guy is obviously veyr good and I think he deliberately started at the back to see how many he could overtake. Normally anybody that good would start at the front, or very near it.
I was impressed by the ladies race but had to laugh at the beginning, where they were all falling off and just giggling their way down. The one with the camera actually overtook a few while she was sliding down on her backside :laugh:

Top Bottom