I used to think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

unlikely

The Megavalanche is fun :-)

What those videos don't show, is just how steep the glacier sections are, and once they're rutted, it's near impossible to stay upright. The guys at the front have it far easier, as it all gets piste bashed in the morning before the main race starts.
The main section at the Mega, probably starts out around 40deg and mellows out as it reaches the bottom, and I won't deny it is daunting when you're at the top of it looking down during practice. During the race run, you just get on with it!

The rocks aren't that bad. Most of the traversing rocky section in the Mega is actually scree, with only a couple solid rock sections. Even the Mountain of Hell is mostly scree., but I've never done that race.
I would say that Les Deux Alpes is the better of the two resorts though. It's got better trails than Alpe d'Heuz, but neither of them are worth a weeks holiday on their own. I certainly wouldn't go to Alpe d'Heuz just for a holiday, as there are far better trails to be had, and Les Deux Alpes is only good for a few days of mountainbiking.

Top Bottom