I want to fit a smaller cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Come and try riding over here in the Lakes and see if you change your mind?

Even the pros fit lower gears for our passes.

si_c

Guru
Was running an 11-32 for yesterday's ride, really made me miss the 11-36 I used for that route previously...

To the OP just ride what you have and don't worry too much if you don't use some of the gears.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Was running an 11-32 for yesterday's ride
As was I. And at times, I too wished for a 36. Or a 40, or a 42....
+1 to what Si has advised. And if you keep exploring new places to ride, sooner or later you'll find somewhere you'll be glad of that 28. FWIW, it's widely considered more efficient to pedal at higher cadence in a bigger sprocket for a given speed...

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I'll have your 28. Have you got a spare 30 and 32 as well?

Wait until your 57, and weighing 100kg, you'll be begging for a bigger gear

Erm, 57 passed me by quite a few years ago now. I think I could still get into my school blazer though^_^

But do you weigh 100kg? ^_^

I weigh 95kg. I use gearing range 17"-115" Smallest 26t chainring and 40t cog. I dont dont use the inner granny ring much, but its really nice to be able to keep a light fast cadence in zone 2 to recover

Globalti

Legendary Member
What about taking the screws out and refitting them from the other side? That ought to block even more gears.

Lee_M

Guru
But do you weigh 100kg? ^_^

I weigh 95kg. I use gearing range 17"-115" Smallest 26t chainring and 40t cog. I dont dont use the inner granny ring much, but its really nice to be able to keep a light fast cadence in zone 2 to recover

I wonder if he lives in North Wales too.

No way can a 60+ rider do north Wales without a 28, unless of course they're averaging 10mph

velohomme

I live in North Wales. Bike came with a 28. Couldn't wait to get a 32. Now thinking of a 34. My only excuse is the advance of father time.

Top Bottom