I was going to be...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Two of the grandchildren are undertaking work experience this week (no enthusiasm from either though) and neither have a clue what they want to do when they finish studying - apart from being pro' games players. The new 'I want to be an astronaut'?

This got me thinking back to my youth and the various careers I really wanted to follow at various times during my troubled teens.

Here's what floated my boat way back then:

Systems Analyst - computers were on the horizon, the future was laden with bits and golden, and I remember fancying this as a job as a) it seemed well paid and b) was a notch up from a programmer.

Vet - the demise of the family Alsation intersected with a good Biology O level pass which obviously meant that I was cut out to be a doggy saviour.

Research Chemist - another good O Level result and this was my new calling. I have no idea what it was that I was going to research.

None of these scatter-brained dreams came to pass. :laugh:

So... over to you - back to your teens and what were your unfulfilled career ambitions?

I had no idea
Ended up in computers thru them being my hobby

My dream now would be commercial airline pilot but that will never happen!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I wanted to be an architect when I was a teen, but then switched to wanting to be a scientist, which I was for a few years. I had the chance to become a lecturer but I was crap at teaching and tired of short term research contracts, so switched to prodding computers and, after the birth of Bolletta, part-time house husbandry.

It's not turned out how I expected, but I'm not sure I'd change much.

Last edited:
I wanted to be a draughtsman and draw lots of complicated fiddly pictures.

A friend had a Spectrum, I got an Electron. I've been a programmer and have been an IT Manager in the last 31 years.

It turns out I have an aptitude as a mechanical engineer of some sort, but that was discovered too late.
I build an ace kitchen though.

A couple of years ago I passed an AAT level 2 in accountancy. So that's another path that may have been or could still be.

17 years until I retire so who knows!

Top Bottom