I will be appearing on BBC Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
No. I didnt get any money for it. And it didnt really cross my mind. The BBC are on a tight budget too you know.
Do you think so?
http://news.sky.com/story/1138009/bbc-payout-row-someone-is-telling-porkies

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Why is everyone being so twattish towards Matthew, is there something i missed?

Really, he's been rude to me before, I know, but I've probably been rude back, so, what of it? I mean get over it and get a life people!
You must have missed the thread where he illegally rode a motorcycle,after all of the threads and videos on others behaviour.

Fully deserved really.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I generally avoid a lot of things on here like the Commuting section purely because it depresses/p*sses me off so much. Why come on to watch such nasty things?

Still, asking Matthew stupid things like

'Did you contact the cyclists in your local area before doing the film?'

and other such things. I mean, what do you feckin' think? Does he need special permission or something?

Besides, he's an Autist, of course he's going to be a bit..... Unflexable in his behaviour shall we say, but then again, everyone makes mistakes, even holier than thou people! (Oh Matthew, how ironic you made it the way you did!:giggle:).

Last edited:

Radchenister

Veteran
All the more reason to query and explain alternative views and perspectives. If people can't handle straight talking and Matt being challenged on his views and their wider context, asking him to consider the wider implications and possible consequences etc. then they can always opt out the discussion.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
All the more reason to query and explain alternative views and perspectives. If people can't handle straight talking and Matt being challenged on his views and their wider context, asking him to consider the wider implications and possible consequences etc. then they can always opt out the discussion.

But someone did this ^^, and then lots of other people decided that Matthew might not get the point unless they joined in, so they all said very similar things, with varying degrees of politeness/nobbishness. Again and again.

Saying it once is trying to help Matthew see another point of view. Numerous people repeating it ad nauseum begins to look very like bullying, especially when they import that into a different thread (i.e. this one).

[mod hat on now]This thread is for discussion about Matthew's BBC appearance. Discussion on here of motorbike riding is off topic.

Radchenister

Veteran
Of course, although calling people 'feckin twats' is the logical and politically correct response ; charming forum that it is ;) .

I can't get too excited about TV shows on cycling. I am one of the harshest critics of Matthew's Youtube stuff, but this seems harmless and fun.

I thought @gaz (of these pages) came over very poorly on that Death War Bicycle Kill thing some months ago, but I find his 'Silly Cyclist' stuff helpful and well observed. He is not a spokesman for anybody and doesn't pretend to be (I think). The Youtube stuff is helpful, but the TV show was hard on the eye. No matter.

@Matthew_T is slightly Marmite and I'm in the camp who'd rather have honey or a nice foie gras. But he isn't representing anybody and doesn't have an obligation to put this, that or any particular case. I think most of his Youtube stuff is execrable, but that is of no import here.

He was approached, he accepted and it's likely that it will be broadcast. It is a matter for nobody but Matthew and the broadcaster. This kind of thing seems to float his boat and that isn't a crime.

I rather imagine that some spin or angle will be put on whatever he says, as broadcasters tend to want viewers and there's a reason why Jeremy Kyle doesn't do shows called "I planted some lettuces and they make jolly nice salad". The viewing public is more drawn to slightly racier stuff.

It is not unlikely that Matthew will feel misrepresented or shown in a light he finds unflattering, but that is all part of the game. I hope it goes well for him and that it brings what he hoped it would. But it will not be a huge surprise if it doesn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I rather imagine that some spin or angle will be put on whatever he says, as broadcasters tend to want viewers and there's a reason why Jeremy Kyle doesn't do shows called "I planted some lettuces and they make jolly nice salad". The viewing public is more drawn to slightly racier stuff.

It is not unlikely that Matthew will feel misrepresented or shown in a light he finds unflattering, but that is all part of the game. I hope it goes well for him and that it brings what he hoped it would. But it will not be a huge surprise if it doesn't.
Thanks for the support Boris. I do believe that what you say about getting the viewings is true. The Producer asked me if I had any more videos of confrontations and if I would send them to him.
In reality, I dont have that much, and certainly not to the extremity that he wants it.

pauldavid

Veteran
[QUOTE 2692969, member: 1314"]Did you consult with local cycling groups/cyclists before going ahead with this? If not, why not?

Is it cos' none of them will have anything to do with you?

I think you're dissembling.

What if "they" find out about your illegal chavvy motorbiking, as has been pointed out earlier?[/quote]
Because he didn't have to consult with anyone.

Whatever the reason for picking MT, they were asking questions relating to his opinion on cycling related issues not for the opinion of local cycling groups that they could have approached instead.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I thought @gaz (of these pages) came over very poorly on that Death War Bicycle Kill thing some months ago, but I find his 'Silly Cyclist' stuff helpful and well observed. He is not a spokesman for anybody and doesn't pretend to be (I think). The Youtube stuff is helpful, but the TV show was hard on the eye. No matter.
I can't help the way they edited it :sad:

cd365

Guru
Thanks for the support Boris. I do believe that what you say about getting the viewings is true. The Producer asked me if I had any more videos of confrontations and if I would send them to him.
In reality, I dont have that much, and certainly not to the extremity that he wants it.
Don't send them.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Don't send them.
This ^^
A bit of comment on how nice it would be if cyclists and drivers could get along is fine, and pointing out how to behave considerately around cyclists (I haven't seen the BBC Wales clip, I'm just hoping it was something like this!).

Giving them more 'confontations' will not help, it will only make many drivers see cyclists as aggressive road bullies. Don't forget that you will have no control over how much of the clip will be used, how it is edited/introduced etc. See Gaz's post 2 above!

Even more so if he asked for 'extreme' confrontations!

Top Bottom