i wish to confess.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have been looking for some shoes,something that is a little more robust,so i looked at Hush Puppies,CAT and some Clarkes.But i finally picked out some Doc Martens,but online i thought the sizing chart was wrong,my size 12's are 47 in EU sizes,so i went into Leeds this morning and tried five pair on.Found i was right Size 12 is 47,the website was wrong.I got back home rang the number asked them to check,they did i was right their chart was wrong 12/46.
I ordered said pair of Doc's £64-99p Leeds shop price £100 mind you he did offer £15 off.Sorry to say i did waste the guys time,he was so helpful aswell.But the money is better in my pocket.

L14M

Über Member
:gun:

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I'd be lost without my docs. Always been a skate trainer guy until I got my first pair of Docs. Never looked back since!

Got my first pair of Docs back in the 70s oxblood if that's what they were called, came half way up my shin and very comfy to wear until all the air was gone through walking on gravel then they were the worst footwear ever invented as you could tread on a leaf and feel it through the sole, what are they like now

hoopdriver

Guru
I am staggered by the price of Ugg boots which used to be just cheap Uni student wear back in the early 80s when I was going to Sydney Uni. For some weird reason they now seem to be high fashion with price tags to match.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Poor old shops eh? Fancy keeping the shop open all day everyday, paying the wages, rates and overheads, keeping it lit and heated with all the different types and sizes of shoes in stock on the off-chance that someone may want to travel into town to try them all on to get their size and fit right so they can go home and order them on-line in the correct size.... aren't they kind Postie?

How much is it worth to get the right sized shoes first time with help and guidance from someone who knows all about what you need? I'd've bought them in the shop.

hoopdriver

Guru
That is a good point - and one I think about when I do my shopping, especially for bike bitz. We have a really nice bike shop that opened last year here in Hastings and I would certainly, indeed happily, pay a premium to give them my business. And to be honest they are really rather competitive so the premium isn't much. On the other hand, postman is talking about a fairly hefty premium for a pair of boots. Even with the £15 discount it was £20 more than the £65 he would pay on-line. At that point, even with the best goodwill, it's kind of a tough call. With me it would depend on the postage. If the boots were shipped free, well....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Poor old shops eh? Fancy keeping the shop open all day everyday, paying the wages, rates and overheads, keeping it lit and heated with all the different types and sizes of shoes in stock on the off-chance that someone may want to travel into town to try them all on to get their size and fit right so they can go home and order them on-line in the correct size.... aren't they kind Postie?

How much is it worth to get the right sized shoes first time with help and guidance from someone who knows all about what you need? I'd've bought them in the shop.
This ^^^^
When town centres are empty you only have yourself to blame ....

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Absolutely. Buy online, if you like. If you prefer it that way, no argument. Deal with having to send wrong items back. That's the inconvenient part. That's the bit you save the possibility of when you shop, in a shop, with assistants to help, with the product in stock to try. Use them, buy it from them. Ask them for a more competitive price. They know what it costs to buy the same thing online. Aim to get about halfway between 'cheapest you could buy it for' and RRP then considering you've used their time and stock and everything else, how can it be costing you more to buy it there? Bearing in mind you would have had to send the wrong sized ones back?

This 'aren't I clever, look at me confessing to it... but look how much I saved, I feel really guilty about it though..'? Nah, use the shop, or don't. Not have cake and eat it.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
That is a good point - and one I think about when I do my shopping, especially for bike bitz. We have a really nice bike shop that opened last year here in Hastings and I would certainly, indeed happily, pay a premium to give them my business.

That's the thing, you're not paying a premium to give them your business.. you're paying the online retailer the lesser cost BECAUSE they don't have to be somewhere like a shop to actually physically take the product yourself and ask the questions about the stuff the copy and pasted product descriptions don't tell you online.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
DM's are half as good as they used to be and twice as expensive. The last pair I saw were horrible, the leather was awful and they just felt cheap despite not being.

Top Bottom