I wonder how it turned out....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
London, 1991, Xmas eve, 4.55pm. Drunk guy wandering up the high street, asking peeps (incl me) if they knew where he could "get a f*ckin' turkey from. The wife'll bl00dy kill me". I have no idea how it turned out, but it gives me both a sense of dread and schadenfreude. :biggrin::thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
London, 1991, Xmas eve, 4.55pm. Drunk guy wandering up the high street, asking peeps (incl me) if they knew where he could "get a f*ckin' turkey from. The wife'll bl00dy kill me". I have no idea how it turned out, but it gives me both a sense of dread and schadenfreude. :biggrin::thumbsup:

When I worked at Bejam (later Iceland), we used to get people coming in at 4pm on Christmas Eve wanting a 20lb turkey. The damn thing would take 3 days to defrost!

Your story remeind me of the time Mum and I travelled back on a train from a day out in London that had coincided with the Leicester Tigers being in the Rugby cup final at Twickenham. The train was packed with dismal rugby fans (we lost, to Bath, in the final moments), all pissed as newts, but very nice and middle class, so no worries, they were just hilarious. We ended up chatting to them, and then one guy got up just before Market Harborough to get off and asked my Mum "I told my wife I'd be home by 8 (it was 9.30 by now), do you think she'll be cross?" Mum said, maybe, but perhaps if you are very sorry, she'll understand. "Hmm, " he said, "acutally, it's not so much the wife, it's the 6 dinner guests...."

She agreed, he might be in hot water.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
NickM said:
Arch, how did you go from Bejam to university? Did you have the A-levels, or did you have to start from scratch?

Just being nosey!
Maybe she'd put her studies on ice...? :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Arch, how did you go from Bejam to university? Did you have the A-levels, or did you have to start from scratch?

Just being nosey!

I had 'A' levels, but only 2 E's - hence ending up at Bejam "until I decided what I wanted to do".. 12 years later I came to York... I'm very good at getting stuck in ruts and not fulfilling my potential :biggrin:

But for the last 6 years of working there, I was doing an Open University degree part time in Mixed Humanities - no A levels required for that really. I only got a third, but I suspect it was that degree that got me my place at York. Now I'm Arch Ba, BSc (1st class:thumbsup:D, MSc, and dammit, one day I will be Dr....

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
...Now I'm Arch Ba, BSc (1st class:thumbsup:D, MSc, and dammit, one day I will be Dr....
Blimey! no wonder you're running a bit short of steam...

Four Ds at A level for me (geography, business studies, English and, er, general studies, since you don't ask). Just enough to scrape into Wolverhampton Poly, where I failed the first year and was allowed to resit my exams by the skin of my teeth. Then I formed a six year relationship with one of my lecturers and finished up with a 2:i and an M.Sc. Then I got my HGV licence and I've never looked back. What a watse of time my academic career turned out to be.;)

Top Bottom