IAM poll about SMIDSY incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
To be an AD you have to have a passion for safe road driving. Cyclist are going to care more about that as they're much more likely to be the emotional victim of bad driving.

Mad at urage

To be an AD you have to have a passion for safe road driving. Cyclist are going to care more about that as they're much more likely to be the emotional victim of bad driving.
I would say there is possibly such a tendency amongst cyclists who bother with a cycling forum, rather than with cyclists generally (IME).

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Done.

Was an awful survey though, particularly the junction question.

IMHO, SMIDSYs are about one a day (so 7+ in the last 6 months would be right) and involve:

- Motorist on minor road turns left onto major road directly infront of approaching traffic on major road, as traffic happens to be a bicycle so isn't a perceived threat.

- Motorist on major road wants to turn right into minor road, crossing the carriageway directly infront of oncoming traffic, as traffic happens to be a bicycle so isn't a perceived threat.

Slowly, they're learning though. I have a once a week encounter with a repeat offender on my commute, and slowly, she's getting better. She even waved at me yesterday, before nearly putting me over her bonnet.

Top Bottom