Ibuprofen gel for knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The only difference between taking tablets and using cream is how it gets into your system, I.e., they are both systemic which means they both go into the blood stream. You could apply on your skin anywhere and get the same therapeutic levels.

screenman

Legendary Member
The only difference between taking tablets and using cream is how it gets into your system, I.e., they are both systemic which means they both go into the blood stream. You could apply on your skin anywhere and get the same therapeutic levels.
Would there be a time difference in how long they took to work, would you also please let us have the source of your information.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I've used ibuprofen gel on knees (and other joints) post-injury, especially where there was swelling - anecdotally it made a difference. How much of that was the ibuprofen itself and how much was due to the healing effects of massaging it in, I don't know, but I know enough other skaters who swear by it.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've used ibuprofen gel on knees (and other joints) post-injury, especially where there was swelling - anecdotally it made a difference. How much of that was the ibuprofen itself and how much was due to the healing effects of massaging it in, I don't know, but I know enough other skaters who swear by it.
Medical fact....the medicine has to get into your systemic system to work, I.e., it doesn't work locally like heat cream, it's all in your head.

screenman

Legendary Member
Medical fact....the medicine has to get into your systemic system to work, I.e., it doesn't work locally like heat cream, it's all in your head.

Not my head, I just like reading about this sort of subject. Which is why i was hoping you could give us a decent lead to the source of replies.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Not very scientific then, and of course how do you know if you did not use it the pain would have gotten worse.
That's what people say about various things. Don't get all silly and pedantic!

compo

Veteran
Although good advice to get the cause of his pain diagnosed, the OP is 69 years old. I hope he has a better doctor than me who reckons that at 66 years old I am too old to cycle more than a couple of miles. I could see the OP's doctor suggesting he stops cycling if that is what is aggravating his knees rather than look for a proper cause and remedy for his pain.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Without wanting to get drawn into a tit for tat about this, a cursory google search shows a fair amount of research by reputable scientific sources that show the topical application of ibuprofen works including in cases of arthritis.

Top Bottom