I'd forgotton how good it is!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I can't remember how long it is since I rode off road last, I'm 42 now, and I must have been in my late 20's or early 30's I think. I can't even remember where it was that I rode last, Sherwood Forest or Forest of Dean maybe. Anyway, today I went upto Bourne Woods (Lincs) and had 40 minutes of fun on my new Raleigh AT3. Can't wait to go out again.

Mr Pig

I'm the same age as you and I prefer off road riding, I like the variety. Fat though and my balance isn't what it used to be so just not falling off is an impressive achievement ;0)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm only a few years younger than the two of you but have only been off-roading for around 4 months. It is such an addictive feeling and when you manage to clean a technical section the adrenalin buzz is amazing.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Sounds good, I'm much the same, started riding off road about 3 years ago, just love it now, I'm 44, so just a couple of years ahead. The only problem is off road cycle destroys bike bits, it is definately more expensive than riding on the road.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Mr Pig said:
I'm the same age as you and I prefer off road riding, I like the variety. Fat though and my balance isn't what it used to be so just not falling off is an impressive achievement ;0)

Amen to that :tongue:

Glad you're enjoying it Vike :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you don't own a 1 in 25,000 map of your area, which will show you lots of good routes, join a local MTB club where you will learn all kinds of new routes. Many shops have unofficial clubs who go out on Wednesdays and Sundays. Next thing is night riding....

SoulOnIce

GilesM said:
Sounds good, I'm much the same, started riding off road about 3 years ago, just love it now, I'm 44, so just a couple of years ahead. The only problem is off road cycle destroys bike bits, it is definately more expensive than riding on the road.

I'm 41 and recently got the off road thinkg and am going to get myself a bike.

Am a little worried about you saying you are 44 and you have "just a couple of years ahead" - surely if you don't go bonkers and pick the right route riding off road should not be restricted by your age?

Mr Pig

SoulOnIce said:
surely if you don't go bonkers off road should not be restricted by your age?

Sure, but you don't get better with age you know ;0) When I was in my teens I used to jump off ramps and do all kinds of stuff I could not do now. My balance is rubbish, I'm too fat and I'm nowhere near as quick, strong or agile. Like I say, I'm happy just staying upright. My days of pushing my luck are long gone.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rigid Raider said:
If you don't own a 1 in 25,000 map of your area, which will show you lots of good routes, join a local MTB club where you will learn all kinds of new routes. Many shops have unofficial clubs who go out on Wednesdays and Sundays. Next thing is night riding....

Amen again. Cubester and I have found a local club that runs out on a Thursday. Three very differnt rides so far, all lasting two hours from 7pm. The last hour under the lights has been great. It's almost disappointing that the nights are taking longer to draw in!

I'm 45 by the way, and have found my second youth through MTBing since last summer.

Mr Pig

Angelfishsolo said:
It is such an addictive feeling and when you manage to clean a technical section

Incidentally, this is bike-nerd speak. For those new to the game I'll translate:

It makes you really happy when you get over a really rough bit of ground or down a sh** scary hillside and discover that you're still on the bike instead of waking up in hospital! :0)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wayhay - I have graduated to a bike-nerd !!!
Mr Pig said:
Incidentally, this is bike-nerd speak. For those new to the game I'll translate:

It makes you really happy when you get over a really rough bit of ground or down a sh** scary hillside and discover that you're still on the bike instead of waking up in hospital! :0)

Top Bottom