ideal donor bike for mid drive motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ariyalhadder

After several thousand satisfying commuting miles on an old second hand hybrid converted with a TSDZ2 kit, I'm looking to move the TSDZ2 to something more classy. Thinking of integrated hub gears and disc brakes. Probably hybrid or flat bar road style. Any suggestions? Maybe a chromoly or titanium frame for comfort too?

CXRAndy

Guru
Hub geared frame will generally have horizontal dropouts to allow adjustment for chain stretch. Most bikes like this are commuter or touring bikes. I made a TSDZ2 bike for my wife with its already fitted Shimano Nexus 8 geared hub. The chain alignment fell spot on. I must confess, the setup works really well.

Genesis Columbia was her donor bike https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ebike-conversion.251127/

For suggestions of bike makes, have a look at Genesis-they do a few hub geared bikes. I would stick with steel or titanium for strength. Bear in mind the anti rotation bracket mount.

OP
OP
A

ariyalhadder

Boardman URB series looks good with hub gear, though frame is aluminium.

The top of the line 8.9 is a belt drive. How does resizing a belt drive work (if I were to want 42T equivalent like on stock TSDZ2?)

CXRAndy

Guru
Boardman URB series looks good with hub gear, though frame is aluminium.

The top of the line 8.9 is a belt drive. How does resizing a belt drive work (if I were to want 42T equivalent like on stock TSDZ2?)

Gates make virtually every type and size of drive belt. Its just a case of working out the diameter and tooth profile. If you have the chain length, then that should be close to start researching belts. Or build up bike with desired chainring and hub gear measure with a piece of string.

Top Bottom