Ebike Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've undertaken the task of converting my wife's new Genesis Columbia to an ebike. Its I think a good candidate with being steel frame, internal gear Shimano hub with disc brakes

I did a little research of battery sizes available and made a guesstimate if the battery would locate in the frame. I took the plunge and ordered the bike.

This week the battery arrived from Chinese supplier, temporarily fitted to see if it sits in the frame and can be removed from the cradle.
It will help with centre of gravity/stability having the battery central and low in the frame

When the motor kit arrives I'll update the build
20190709_130844.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Wholly crap, it works! The newer model, with helical cut final drive is very nice, quiet, can hardly hear the motor whilst pedalling

Need to tidy all the wiring, tighten everything down, tweak the settings and do a proper test ride. :hyper:
20190714_082731.jpg
20190714_082918.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
20190714_123036.jpg 20190713_151439.jpg I spent this morning tidying up the cables and routing them. I used various heat shrink, cable ties and insulation tape to keep the wiring as neat as possible.

I fitted extra riv-nuts to help hold weighty battery. I opted for 52v 13.5amp Shark design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
20190714_115003.jpg
The finished bike.

Ive just had a 5 mile ride to try out performance and assist levels. Performed perfectly. There is no need really to change gear or assistance level. I could easily leave mid level and in top gear 8th on IGH and it would be absolutely fine. The odd hill might prove to be a problem, but I'll see in due course. My wife is pleased with the level of assist- hopefully we can get back upto 50 milers again together.

I think it will take a few rides to alter the settings to get the range, and power levels spot on. Hoping for 100miles of range with moderate assistance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Parts I used were a centre direct crank drive motor. Its a TSDZ2 kit- with custom firmware. Its a 48/52volt motor with upto 750W if you choose to run high amps.

https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p113/TSDZ2.html#/

The custom firmware allows variety of settings to be altered which either increase performance or tailor the kit to personal requirements. Common items to adjust are-battery type/ voltage max limit of current/power, number of assist levels and how these levels are setup, walk/cruise feature, throttle on/off or torque. Temperature control once sensor added. There are many other options, which enhance the basic system. That's why I chose this kit

Note- you can get the standard kit for much less from many suppliers

The battery I ordered through a Chinese wholesaler DH Gate. Using this website was straightforward and the battery was delivered on-time with no issues

Battery 52volt 13.5Amp/hr. Shark shape. My battery has no on/ off switch or usb outlet. This makes it smaller by centimetre or two which I needed.

Most of these kits are 36v, but these are the older versions, the newer models are 48volt and are much better in power and gear noise.

It took about an hour to strip the original chainset off the bike and fit the kit. The extra time comes from making a tidy job of the wiring or modify frame for additional mounts- not a necessity but I wanted more secure battery mount.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Early days testing. Ive been out on two outings with the wife. We have done two rides each around 20 miles. She hasn't ridden a bike for nearly a year due to physical issues. Its been a revelation to her, she can cruise along at 14-16mph with a small amount of motor assist. The giggle she has being able to carry same speed whether headwind or incline. Im finding myself having to draft when riding into a headwind and I need to dig deep for hills or small inclines.

The conversion from these two outings is a success. Its allowed my better half enjoy cycling again. Onwards for bigger outings :smile:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chinese battery :eek:

Ananda

You do realise vast majority of products are manufactured in China, even apple devices. You really need to look at yourself for the prejudice you possess.

Dont bother posting another comment, its not welcome

Lighten up, its called humour!

Ps.
btw everything is made in china, but at different quality control standards.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks excellent, watching with much intetest! Did you choose the bike with conversion in mind?

I wanted a bike which had disc brakes, but then thought an internal gear hub would be of benefit for keeping chain line simple. The Battery location was beneficial being between the down tubes offering a little bit a knock protection, when the wife steps into the bike.

It was a ball ache to drill the extra riv-nut positions. Far longer than it took to install the motor kit and display.

I spent this morning tidying up all the cables.

Apart from making setting adjustments to aid my wife, the project has surprisingly finished rather quickly, more quickly than I anticipated.

I'll post more photos Its such a simple conversion anyone with a little practical skill could make a tidy job.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
how does it work ? - i can see the battery , but what part does the battery power ?
passed two battery powered bikes today and had some friendly banter going up the hill
anything that helps people get out gets my vote and hope you 2 have many a happy mile along the riverbank

Top Bottom