Ebike Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
how does it work ? - i can see the battery , but what part does the battery power ?
passed two battery powered bikes today and had some friendly banter going up the hill
anything that helps people get out gets my vote and hope you 2 have many a happy mile along the riverbank

See my post in Zwift thread Lee

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Apologies. It was a joke. You've done a very neat conversion there.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive got a few more additions like dynamo hub and lights. I could use ebike lights, but I prefer to have constant lights without nibbling the ebike battery

I will also fit a Topeak rack with saddle bag .

If weather is good we plan to do a 40 miler. I will fully charge the battery to test range. Im hoping to see more than 50% battery left after journey

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Another pub run trial :smile:
20190720_174528.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Looks a nice neat job!.

I have a TSDZ2 36v in my Carrera, used a Nuvinci 360 rear hub and 15ah battery.

Seen the development of the custom firmware and it looks interesting, don't think they support my 36v system though?.

The Torque Sensing Drive is excellent, just like riding a "mormal" bike.

20190108_205154.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks a nice neat job!.

I have a TSDZ2 36v in my Carrera, used a Nuvinci 360 rear hub and 15ah battery.

Seen the development of the custom firmware and it looks interesting, don't think they support my 36v system though?.

The Torque Sensing Drive is excellent, just like riding a "mormal" bike.

View attachment 476411

Thanks, your bike looks great. We are still only into a few rides, tweaking the settings to my wife's requirements. Its been, even after a few rides a great benefit to her, she enjoys being able to go a bit faster and much further to match my current ability.

I understand that the software you can get is for both 36 and 48v motors. It allows higher voltage batteries on 36v motors

This link has alot of information
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

Also there are YouTube videos of folk who have installed modified their setups
This chap has modified his 36V system and also done a few repairs/improvement to his motor

View: https://youtu.be/nj8GxKHut3o

keithmac

Guru
Cheers Andy, I'll have a read up on that.

Are you a member of Endless Sphere forums?, thats where the hybrid firmware started a few years back iirc.

Worth a look to see how it all started.

Great that your wife can get out on longer rides now!, job well done.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Cheers Andy, I'll have a read up on that.

Are you a member of Endless Sphere forums?, thats where the hybrid firmware started a few years back iirc.

Worth a look to see how it all started.

Great that your wife can get out on longer rides now!, job well done.

No I'm not, Ill have look. Always useful to have a resource of information :okay:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
We have had 4 outings now on single charge, so far total nearly 70 miles. The good lady uses various levels, the motor produces around 80-120W assist to make it easy for her to ride around 14-16 mph. There is still over 50 volts on the battery around 25% on the battery status. I expect she could push the range over 100 miles. We will test on a few more local outings.

It bodes well because she wants to do 40-50 mile outings so the battery and power usage is promising

shingwell

It was a ball ache to drill the extra riv-nut positions. Far longer than it took to install the motor kit and display.
@CXRAndy any tips for doing this to avoid the ball ache? Am considering doing the same on a Brompton and for the same reason (to secure a battery.)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy any tips for doing this to avoid the ball ache? Am considering doing the same on a Brompton and for the same reason (to secure a battery.)

The problem on my wife's bike was it has a double down-tubes spaced, very inconveniently at a distance where the size of the drill bit isn't long enough to reach the lower tube. I got there in the end cutting down drills and using a 90 degree chuck adaptor.

The Brompton have a single large tube with no obstruction I can see, is that where you are going to mount the battery?

Its straight forward to fit the riv-nuts with the correct tool. #tool plus selection of riv-nuts start around £35

Measure 3 times and mark using masking tape-use lots to protect frame. Also use a centre punch on mark to stop drill moving off centre. Start with a 2.5mm drill to get a pilot hole, for larger bit, go steady with pressing drill into tube-let the drill bit do the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Bike is up-to 84 miles on single charge. Its been stood for over a week and battery voltage didn't drop at all, so negligible current bleed. Last nights outing battery voltage once home was 49.3 Volts. System is programmed to cut off at 42 Volts.

I'm now thinking well in excess of 100 miles is possible maybe even 130 mile range:smile:

Top Bottom