Ebike Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My 80/90/100% charger came. :smile:

Ive converted connections to match battery and UK mains. The keen eyed will of noticed the charger is not the correct voltage version for my 52v battery. Full charge being 58.8V.

This charger has 3 levels from 52V to 54.6V. It suits me fine, for best battery life it is recommended to charge around 80-90% and periodically charge upto 100% to allow internal BMS level the cells.

It has a little internal cooling fan and a single LED to indicate full charge, red to green

Attachments

• 20190811_104325.jpg
    20190811_104325.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Front wheel sent off for dynamo hub rebuild.

I'm taking the Busch&Mueller lights from her other bike to fit.

In the meantime I've ordered the tools to dismantle the Nexus Inter 8 IGH hub. From new its been a little temperamental in shifting gears even before fitting Ebike kit. So, I will strip down, clean original grease away and re grease with semi fluid grease and water proof grease in both spindle bearings- hopefully that helps with shifting.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I can see the finish line now

I have been adding extras for the wife's bike to make it usable pretty much at anytime

So I added Topeak touring rack and pannier bag. Had the front wheel rebuilt with a Shimano silver dynamo hub. Removed the Busch& Mueller lights from her other bike.

Wife has now requested wide tyres for the odd gravel path outing.-later job

I did the IGH strip down and lubrication because of hesitant shifting. There was little grease in the hub from new,(200miles) the shifting became nice and smooth after the service

Here is her 100+ mile shopper (soon gravel ready) ebike
20190827_121645.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Tyres arrived, so fitted and bike given test ride. I went with inner tubes and sealant to reduce chances of punctures that involve wheel removal. Just slightly more awkward to remove a hub drive wheel on the road.

All finished now :biggrin:
20190829_123737.jpg

That's a really tidy conversion. It's making me hungry to get on with a similar project. How does the torque sensor perform. Have you compared it with the likes of the Bosche Active Line+?

Why did you opt for custom firmware exactly? Sorry if you already explained, I didn't see that in your write up.

Edit: Actually whilst reading up on the motor model, I came across the reason! Should have been obvious, but I was having a moment! :okay:

The thing that worries me with conversions that break the watt and speed limits is the possibility of getting into non-fault accident with another party and then being screwed by the police after an investigation into circumstances, and then again with insurance companies after settlement for contributory negligence. I wish the regulations would be relaxed a bit more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
The torque sensor really makes the bike feel natural in riding style, smoothly kicking in and fade out.

Ive not compared it to a Bosch or alike- some have and say its just as good

I chose a custom firmware because the developer has improved the functionality, smoothness, and improved battery life. Yes I can if I wished to go crazy, but its a bike for my wife who just wants easy to use bike with a decent range without panicking it might run out, so its very moderate in power and max current supply. She rides between 14-16 mph, able to go shopping, carry loads or go off road on trails without over stressing her hip problems

Last edited:
I'd love one just to get my average pace up and reduce my commute time here in hilly bradford. I may have to think about it a bit more seriously as I'm moving soon and will have 30 mile round trip, and need to get home for my baby girl! I love the pairing with the IGH too. It would work a treat with my surly straggler.

If you don't mind, how much did you spend on the motor, battery and controller, and from whom did you buy them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
If you don't mind, how much did you spend on the motor, battery and controller,

The battery was about £280. The kit was £500ish. There are cheaper supplies for the kit from DHGate, but these are standard setups. You would need to get the software and interface to add custom software. So I bought mine motor from Electrifymybike in the USA already preprogrammed. its the TSDZ2 kit. I understand there is a newer/ display control available now

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive being trying to find the cutoff point of the battery, well I did today- well the wife did :smile:.

We have had some strong winds around recently, so power assist has been higher to maintain speed

Our little outing was curtailed, a benefit really, her indoors would not of been impressed if system had shut down 9 miles from home.

The battery started at 48V ish but I noticed that voltage was dropping quickly when more power was demanded fighting a headwind. I thought it would drop off more steadily, but soon as we hit a small hill in length @8% the battery just gave up and the system shut down. A slow ride home revealed no problems other than flat battery

So now have a good indication where the battery voltage has to be for a ride out.

Are you planning year round riding? It will also be interesting to see how it operates in the comming colder winter weather. I hear that range can be quite drastically cut as the cold impedes the battery chemistry. A battery used at a low temperature produces less current than at a higher temperature. As cold batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally. So weather can be mitigated to an extent if you can dismount the battery (if it's stored in unheated space) and take it indoors. It won't suffer as badly as it would with a cold start, but it will eventually cool enough out in the open that the chemistry is hindered again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are you planning year round riding? It will also be interesting to see how it operates in the comming colder winter weather. I hear that range can be quite drastically cut as the cold impedes the battery chemistry. A battery used at a low temperature produces less current than at a higher temperature. As cold batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally. So weather can be mitigated to an extent if you can dismount the battery (if it's stored in unheated space) and take it indoors. It won't suffer as badly as it would with a cold start, but it will eventually cool enough out in the open that the chemistry is hindered again.

Yep cold weather can cut the range in half, the problem is the voltage drops so the safety device cuts in. Starting a ride with a warm battery helps and I'd take it to full charge before leaving home.

Top Bottom